Has the search for WMDs officially ended?

• News
  • Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
In summary: Bush said in an interview with The Washington Post that the search for weapons of mass destruction was unnecessary because they were found a long time ago. However, he also said that the US must continue to do a better job of explaining what America is all about.
klusener
I have been hearing this from a couple of news sources, might be old news in your country..

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I heard the official searches ended just yesterday... Any confirmation and explanation would we nice :smile:

Haven't you guys heard? WMD were found a long time ago, there's no need to keep searching anymore.

More information available http://theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4101&n=3

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the US's search for WMD has ended.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=16&u=/ap/20050113/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iraq_weapons_15

No need for Bush to apologize, though. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6831621/)

Bush said:
"We had an accountability moment, and that's called the 2004 elections," Bush said in an interview with The Washington Post. "The American people listened to different assessments made about what was taking place in Iraq, and they looked at the two candidates, and chose me."

Of course, the rest of the world's opinion suggests there's been at least one weakness in Bush's policies.

Bush said:
Bush acknowledged that "some of the decisions I've made up to now have affected our standing in parts of the world," but predicted that most Muslims will eventually see America as a beacon of freedom and democracy.

"There's no question we've got to continue to do a better job of explaining what America is all about," he said.

For the less mathematically inclined, "continue to do a better job" is somewhat similar to constant acceleration, or "continue to go even faster". For the more mathematically inclined, that equates to:

[tex]p_f = p_i - w t + 1/2 e t^2 [/tex]

where [tex]p_f[/tex] = final public opinion
[tex]p_i[/tex] = initial public opinion
[tex]w t [/tex] = war multiplied by duration of war
[tex]e t^2[/tex] = quality of explanations multiplied by duration of war squared

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as [itex]e>0,~p_f~[/itex] will eventually turn positive. And all it takes is an infinitely long war. Hallelujah !

And for those that are stymied by Waste's link, The Onion is not a serious news source. It only parodies news events - a print equivalent to the Daily Show.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
And for those that are stymied by Waste's link, The Onion is not a serious news source. It only parodies news events - a print equivalent to the Daily Show.

You mean I've have been getting all my news from the wrong source? :cry:

Maybe I should consider watching Fox? :smile:

Hey didnt Jeraldo Rivera find the WMDs? :smile:

I thought I saw Jr. running around the oval office looking for them! Maybe he is now looking for them in the Lincoln bedroom! I thought for sure he'd find'em!:smile:

Gokul43201 said:
Excuse me? Are you trying to tell me that North Korea and Iran do NOT have WMD? That's not what the Bush Administration has said. Officials in the Bush administration, and Bush himself, have said at many times that Iran and North Korea do have WMD, but we are going to try diplomacy with them instead of war. They are part of the Axis of Evil afterall.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:

Hah is there someone that didn't know this? I'm shocked this even needed stating, it is obvious to me it was a joke when he posted it.

Besides, I think the onion article, though a parody, was rather insightful in this case.

"Based on what we know today, the president would have taken the same action because this is about protecting the American people," said Press Secretary Scott McClellan.

Nice of them to finally admit that they would have attacked Iraq even if they did know there were no WMD, blatantly contradicting the pre-war lie that the whole reason for invading was about WMD.

Pyrovus said:
Nice of them to finally admit that they would have attacked Iraq even if they did know there were no WMD, blatantly contradicting the pre-war lie that the whole reason for invading was about WMD.[emphasis added]
That's said a lot, and its still isn't true. That was always 1 of 3 reasons to go. It may have been the main reason, but it wasn't the "whole" reason.

russ_watters said:
That's said a lot, and its still isn't true. That was always 1 of 3 reasons to go. It may have been the main reason, but it wasn't the "whole" reason.

So what were the other 2 again, if you care to enlighten us?

russ_watters said:

But it was the linchpin ! Without this reason, neither Congress nor the people, would have been sold on the idea (which is kind of sad). And that's why it was the the most repeated and emphasized point in the campaign for the War. So much so, that Bush, Cheney, Rice, McClellan and others were repeatedly using very shady "intelligence" to support and reinforce this claim, rather than tell the people that it's time to give the Iraqis a break from Saddam's oppression.

Reason number 2, was the al Qaeda/9-11 connection.

Blair went to war because he said that Evil Saddam Hussein can drop in 45 min bomb on London . Bush was even more funnier.Who is the third stooge ? Howard from Australia ? he looks more intelligent.

Thanks to GWB I have finally come to understand that a satirist is the natural outcome of chronic sadness and seething anger.

Once again polly you have graced us with your insightfull perspectives on human behaviour.

:biggrin: Unfortunately my little darling, flattery will get you nowhere :smile: .

Related to Has the search for WMDs officially ended?

What are WMDs and why were they being searched for?

WMDs stand for weapons of mass destruction, which include nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. They were being searched for due to concerns about their potential threat to national security and global stability.

Did the search for WMDs officially end?

Yes, the search for WMDs officially ended in 2004 when the Iraq Survey Group (ISG) concluded that there were no stockpiles of WMDs in Iraq. This was confirmed by subsequent investigations and reports.

Why did the search for WMDs in Iraq receive so much attention?

The search for WMDs in Iraq received a lot of attention due to the US government's claim that they posed an imminent threat to national security, which was used as a justification for the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The failure to find WMDs raised questions about the accuracy of this claim.

Are there any other ongoing efforts to locate WMDs?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to locate and eliminate WMDs around the world. This includes inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), as well as efforts to secure and destroy existing stockpiles of WMDs.

What are the potential consequences of not finding WMDs in a country that was believed to possess them?

The failure to find WMDs in a country that was believed to possess them can have serious consequences, including damage to credibility and trust between countries, political backlash and loss of support for military interventions, and potential threats to national security if these weapons fall into the wrong hands.