Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has the search for WMDs officially ended?

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    I have been hearing this from a couple of news sources, might be old news in your country..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2
    Yes I heard the official searches ended just yesterday... Any confirmation and explanation would we nice :smile:

4. Jan 13, 2005 #3
    Haven't you guys heard? WMD were found a long time ago, there's no need to keep searching anymore.

More information available at this reliable source.

5. Jan 16, 2005 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the US's search for WMD has ended.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap/20050113/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iraq_weapons_15

No need for Bush to apologize, though. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6831621/)

Of course, the rest of the world's opinion suggests there's been at least one weakness in Bush's policies.

For the less mathematically inclined, "continue to do a better job" is somewhat similar to constant acceleration, or "continue to go even faster". For the more mathematically inclined, that equates to:

[tex]p_f = p_i - w t + 1/2 e t^2 [/tex]

where [tex]p_f[/tex] = final public opinion
    [tex]p_i[/tex] = initial public opinion
    [tex]w t [/tex] = war multiplied by duration of war
    [tex]e t^2[/tex] = quality of explanations multiplied by duration of war squared

6. Jan 16, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as [itex]e>0,~p_f~[/itex] will eventually turn positive. And all it takes is an infinitely long war. Hallelujah !

And for those that are stymied by Waste's link, The Onion is not a serious news source. It only parodies news events - a print equivalent to the Daily Show.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  7. Jan 16, 2005 #6
    You mean I've have been getting all my news from the wrong source? :surprised :grumpy: :cry:

Maybe I should consider watching Fox? :rofl:

Hey didnt Jeraldo Rivera find the WMDs? :rofl:

I thought I saw Jr. running around the oval office looking for them! Maybe he is now looking for them in the Lincoln bedroom! I thought for sure he'd find'em!:rofl:

8. Jan 17, 2005 #7
    Excuse me? Are you trying to tell me that North Korea and Iran do NOT have WMD? That's not what the Bush Administration has said. Officials in the Bush administration, and Bush himself, have said at many times that Iran and North Korea do have WMD, but we are going to try diplomacy with them instead of war. They are part of the Axis of Evil afterall.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  9. Jan 17, 2005 #8
    Hah is there someone that didn't know this? I'm shocked this even needed stating, it is obvious to me it was a joke when he posted it.

Besides, I think the onion article, though a parody, was rather insightful in this case.

10. Jan 17, 2005 #9
    Nice of them to finally admit that they would have attacked Iraq even if they did know there were no WMD, blatantly contradicting the pre-war lie that the whole reason for invading was about WMD.

11. Jan 17, 2005 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's said a lot, and its still isn't true. That was always 1 of 3 reasons to go. It may have been the main reason, but it wasn't the "whole" reason.

12. Jan 17, 2005 #11
    So what were the other 2 again, if you care to enlighten us?

13. Jan 17, 2005 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But it was the linchpin ! Without this reason, neither Congress nor the people, would have been sold on the idea (which is kind of sad). And that's why it was the the most repeated and emphasized point in the campaign for the War. So much so, that Bush, Cheney, Rice, McClellan and others were repeatedly using very shady "intelligence" to support and reinforce this claim, rather than tell the people that it's time to give the Iraqis a break from Saddam's oppression.

Reason number 2, was the al Qaeda/9-11 connection.

14. Jan 17, 2005 #13
    Blair went to war because he said that Evil Saddam Hussein can drop in 45 min bomb on London . Bush was even more funnier.Who is the third stooge ? Howard from Australia ? he looks more intelligent.

15. Jan 18, 2005 #14
    Thanks to GWB I have finally come to understand that a satirist is the natural outcome of chronic sadness and seething anger.

16. Jan 18, 2005 #15
    Once again polly you have graced us with your insightfull perspectives on human behaviour.

17. Jan 18, 2005 #16
    :biggrin: Unfortunately my little darling, flattery will get you nowhere :rofl: .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?