Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have a software that solves Helmholtz equation, can I use it for Poisson?

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    I only took one class of PDE and even though I do remember the relationship between Laplace and Poisson I really do not recall Helmholtz at all. Anyways, I am trying to figure out if my software (a software I found online, FISKPACK) that solves Helmholtz equation can be used to solve Poisson equations? I mean, I understand that with Poisson, the function to the right is not necessarily related to the function itself but can we say Helmholtz is a subset of Poisson?
    Any one here can advice about a software that solves Poisson equations? I found FIShPACK and I am trying to understand it enough to use it.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to this website:

http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~jburkardt/f77_src/fishpack/fishpack.html [Broken]

FISHPACK can be used to solve Poisson equations, since the parameter lambda can be taken to be equal to zero. Note that these are two-dimensional equations only.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Oct 23, 2014 #3
    Thank you Steamking, my issue is if lambda is zero, wouldn't that reduce to Laplace instead of Poisson?
    Thanks again

5. Oct 23, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Poisson equation is the same as the Laplace equation, except the RHS is not equal to zero.

6. Oct 24, 2014 #5
    Thank you again SteamKing, I understand that, however if I need to solve a Poisson equation (with non zero RHS) wouldn't making lambda = 0 not be it?

7. Oct 24, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the first page of the link to the FISHPACK routines. They are designed to solve Laplace, Poisson, and Helmholtz type equations.

As I tried to say, the Laplace equation is ∇2φ = 0 and the Poisson equation is ∇2φ = f(x,y)

It's the RHS of the equation which determines whether you have a Laplace or a Poisson type equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook