Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have any republicans stopped buying Heinz ketchup?

1. Jul 19, 2004 #1
    I just made a sandwich and put ketchup on it (Heinz), and thought to myself, "Wow, all these years of buying Heinz, my family's bassically been supporting the Kerry campaign even before it started." Which led me to wonder, have any of you republicans boycotted Heinz?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2004 #2
    No. I don't take politics to the personal level. I buy Ben & Jerry's ice cream too. And most of the music I listen to is to the Left.

4. Jul 20, 2004 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does it still count if you keep the ketchup on the right side of the fridge?

- Warren

5. Jul 20, 2004 #4
    Is this the same as sleeping with your textbook under your pillow?

6. Jul 21, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, I consider such actions to be pretty idiotic ("Freedom Fries?" gimme a break) - and I like B&J's iced cream too.

7. Jul 21, 2004 #6
    Who cares how companies send their money, its theirs after all.

B&J's ice cream is the best!

8. Jul 21, 2004 #7
    I'm just waiting for Kerry to pocket the campaign money, go on television and announce:

"I am no longer campaigning, in the usual sense. From now on ,I will be ordering you all to vote for me. If you do not, ketchup production will stop, and you will have to go 4 years with off-brand ketchup. My wife is a billionare, and because of this, so am I. We do not need anymore profit, we've been supplying the ketchup out of the goodness of our hearts. Please do not force my hand. "

At that point, I would vote for Kerry - I made the mistake of buying something other than heinz one time....worst ketchup ever!

9. Jul 21, 2004 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

It would be a very amusing political tactic.

Theresa Heinz owns only 2-2.5 % of Heinz. She has kept her money seperate from Kerry's, other than one house that they own jointly. Heinz corporation, though donating to both political parties, has donated significantly more to Republicans than Democrats.

Njorl

10. Jul 21, 2004 #9
    Really. Seems rather odd considering that she is married to the Democratic candidate :biggrin:. http://www.johnkerry.com/about_teresa/

BTW, I heard her speak during the Democratic rally last week at NC State University, she has a fairly strong accent and slower in speech compared to the other speakers.

11. Jul 21, 2004 #10

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette regarding conservative criticism of Kerry for imagined ties to Heinz Corporation:

Full Story

12. Jul 22, 2004 #11
    I really dont' thnk anyone here thought that Kerry, or his wife, have any real influence on Heinz as a whole.

13. Jul 22, 2004 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Perhaps not on PF, but Heinz was getting protests. Maybe it hasn't been much of an issue outside of Pittsburgh.

14. Jul 23, 2004 #13
    When John and Ter-ay-sah Kerry have one of their late night snacks of pate de foie gras on crackers, do they reach for the Heinz ketchup or their cache of Grey Poupon Dijon mustard?

15. Jul 23, 2004 #14

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since John was educated in Europe, he probabably has his own little off-brand Dijon mustard. The Americanized version that is sold in supermarkets is a joke to the French.

16. Jul 23, 2004 #15

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Are we honestly discussing what kind of mustard John Kerry uses in the politics forum?

17. Jul 23, 2004 #16
    The point is, how many Heinz products do you suppose are in the Kerry pantry. I don't think many of the meals the Kerry's eat call for ketchup or gerkins. Do you remember Kerry ordering a Philly chessesteak sandwich with Swiss cheese and then compounding the error by eating it like a sissy. Philly cheesesteak sandwiches are meant to be scarf down with Chez Whiz. This man has no clue.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  18. Jul 23, 2004 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are few outside southeastern PA who understand the true nature of The Cheesesteak.

19. Jul 23, 2004 #18

Njorl

Science Advisor

As a native Philadelphian who has consumed at least 5000 cheese steaks I assure you, they do not involve cheez whiz. The original stuff used at "Pat's" looked like cheez whiz, but did not contain the 50% salt that cheez whiz has.
    Also, it is not a cheesesteak sandwich. It is a cheesesteak. Or, as I always heard it, "Chistek, fry oyuh?" Which is mediterranean immigrant speak for,"You want a cheesesteak. Do you want fried onions with that?" When giving someone a cheesesteak, there is no time for extraneous words!

The evolution of the cheesesteak is truly a wonderous thing. I think the most dominant subspecies is now the provolone variety, though that may be an artifact of observation. I eat so many of them that the local proprieters might just assume that is the way they should be made. It could be that if I am not residing in your area temporarily, that provolone would not be dominant. I have had them with swiss cheese, and it is good for a change, but certainly not the best way to have it. Until you have eaten at least a hundred with "normal" cheeses, I wouldn't recommend swiss. It could warp you in some unhealthy way.

It could be said that there is no wrong way to eat a cheesesteak. IT WOULD BE WRONG! You people going to "Jerry's subs" and getting lettuce and mayonnaise on those ... those ... whatever they are they aren't cheesesteaks!
    Njorl

20. Jul 23, 2004 #19
    Remind me not to bring up the subjects of cheese and sandwiches around anyone from Philadelphia.

21. Jul 24, 2004 #20
    Stay tuned for next week's episode, when our Galloping Gourmet (you do a lot of galloping after eating 5,000 cheesesteaks) chit chats with Rocky Balboa on his techniques for tenderizing cheesesteak beef.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?