Having trouble with the antiderivative of this function

In summary, to evaluate the indefinite integral \int7x+1/x^2+1 dx, split it into two parts - 7x/(x^2+1) and 1/(x^2+1). For the first part, use substitution to get \int7/2u du, which simplifies to (7/2)ln(x^2+1) after taking the antiderivative and substituting u for x^2+1. For the second part, use trig substitution to get \int1/(x^2+1) = arctan x. The final answer is (7/2)ln(x^2+1) + arctan x.
jlt90

Homework Statement

Evaluate the indefinite integral:
[tex]\int[/tex]7x+1/x^2+1 dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt at the solution was to try using substitution. I set u=x^2+1. so du=2x dx and x=sqrt(u-1). Then I rewrote the integral so it is [tex]\int[/tex]7du/4usqrt(u-1). This is where I don't know where to go with this attempt.

I'm pretty sure I'm going about this problem all wrong. If I could just get a push in the right direction I'd really appreciate it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Split the integral into 7x/(x^2+1) and 1/(x^2+1). The first one is the u-substitution you spoke of. The second is a trig substitution.

Thank you very much. So the first one becomes [tex]\int[/tex]7/2u du then 7/2ln(x^2+1) after taking the anti derivative and substituting x^2+1 for u. Then the second part becomes arctan x. So would the final answer be (7/2)ln(x^2+1)+arctan(x)?

That looks fine to me.

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the reverse process of finding a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

2. Why am I having trouble with finding the antiderivative of this function?

Finding antiderivatives can be challenging because it involves a lot of algebraic manipulation and understanding of the properties of functions. It is important to have a strong foundation in calculus to be able to find antiderivatives accurately.

3. Can I use any method to find the antiderivative?

There are several methods for finding antiderivatives, such as using the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts. The method you choose may depend on the complexity of the function and your personal preference.

4. What should I do if I cannot find the antiderivative of a function?

If you are unable to find the antiderivative of a function, it could be because the function is not integrable in terms of elementary functions. In such cases, you can use numerical methods or consult a table of integrals to approximate the antiderivative.

5. How can I check if my antiderivative is correct?

You can check your antiderivative by differentiating it and seeing if you get the original function. You can also use online tools or a graphing calculator to graph both functions and see if they match.