1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat and Thermodynamics Textbook

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1

jgens

Gold Member

Recently in my physics class we covered heat and thermodynamics and I found the subject fascinating; however, given the pace of the course and breadth of material it must cover, I felt that the subject was given a shallow treatment (only covered elementary problems regarding the first law and completely neglected macro and microstates). Consequently, I'm looking for a textbook that will provide a more in depth discussion of heat and thermodynamics and am in the need for suggestions. So, what good textbooks would you recommend for heat and thermodynamics.

In case this helps, I'm fairly good with single variable calculus and am learning multivariable calculus. My calculus course also included several chapters on ODE's so I'm alright with them as well.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that a book that I like, An Introduction to Thermal Physics, by Daniel V. Schroeder, might be appropriate.

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I still have to look into it a little more, but it looks like a promising canidate, especially since reviews I've read said the only prerequisite for the book is a calculus based introductory physics course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook