Heat (Energy) distribution during day-night cycle

In summary, the ground cools quickly on a clear night because a lot of the infra red radiation goes straight out into space.
Trafiq
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on PhysicsForums (although not my first encounter) which I would like to start with asking a question. How does heat from the sun get distributed on Earth so that we have temperature variations between day and night?

In other words, if an area/country/continent gets nice and warm to say, 25°C during the day, where does that heat go during the night when the temp drops to say, 18°C?

My approach so far has been to think of the Earth as a whole particle, with one half being heated by the sun and the other half in darkness. Obviously the heat doesn't just dissipate in vacuum by rising to a "cooler" ~3K vacuum (which is an insulator by itself anyway), so what could it be?

This is not a homework question, this is just a question I've asked myself and have yet to answer properly.

If someone could enlighten me, then that'd be great.Regards,
Trafiq

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Hello, welcome to PF!

In general, heat can be transferred in three ways: by conduction, by convection, and by radiation.
Space is a near-perfect heat insulator, so conduction is out. Convection can hardly apply, as there is nothing in space to form convection bubbles either.
This leaves radiation, which indeed does account for all the energy losses.

On planets with atmospheres, there are more factors to keep in mind when considering heat distribution, e.g., the greenhouse effect or air mass movement(wind).
Still, in general terms, after reaching thermal equilibrium, the Earth reradiates all the extra heat into space.

So, in actuality, the "obvious" bit in your question is incorrect.

Look up black body radiation and Stefan's Law for more insights on the subject.

Right, so it doesn't dissipate via conduction or convection apart from wind, but it does dissipate via radiation. I was actually thinking the means could be radiation via infrared or perhaps microwave photons as I was typing the OP, but wasn't sure. Ok so apart from energy transport via air masses, the heat just simply radiates away. Cool.

Thank you for the clarification, Bandersnatch.

Trafiq said:
Right, so it doesn't dissipate via conduction or convection apart from wind, but it does dissipate via radiation. I was actually thinking the means could be radiation via infrared or perhaps microwave photons as I was typing the OP, but wasn't sure. Ok so apart from energy transport via air masses, the heat just simply radiates away. Cool.

Thank you for the clarification, Bandersnatch.

Absolutely the ground cools very quickly on a clear night because a lot of the infra red radiation goes straight out into space. When there are clouds up there, they absorb the radiation and, because of their temperature ( not far below that of the ground) they radiate loads of heat back down again and the ground stays warmer.

This is scratching at the surface of a topic that always gets people going on PF - the thermal situation in the atmosphere is very very complex and there is not just one mechanism at work.

What is heat distribution during the day-night cycle?

Heat distribution during the day-night cycle refers to the transfer of thermal energy from the sun to the Earth and its subsequent redistribution throughout the atmosphere and surface.

How does the sun's radiation impact heat distribution?

The sun's radiation is the primary source of heat during the day, and it is responsible for heating up the Earth's surface and atmosphere. The sun's radiation is absorbed differently by different surfaces and materials, which affects how it is distributed throughout the day-night cycle.

What causes temperature differences between day and night?

The Earth's rotation and tilt are the main factors that cause temperature differences between day and night. As the Earth rotates, different areas receive varying amounts of sunlight, resulting in temperature differences. Additionally, the tilt of the Earth's axis causes seasonal variations in temperature during the day-night cycle.

How does land and water impact heat distribution?

Land and water have different thermal properties, which affect how they absorb and release heat. Water has a higher specific heat capacity, meaning it can absorb more heat without its temperature changing significantly. This results in water heating up more slowly during the day and cooling down more slowly during the night compared to land.

What is the role of clouds in heat distribution during the day-night cycle?

Clouds can play a significant role in heat distribution during the day-night cycle. They can reflect sunlight back into space, preventing it from reaching the Earth's surface and cooling the planet. They can also act as a barrier, trapping heat in the atmosphere and preventing it from escaping into space at night.