Heat equation given constant surface heat flux

In summary: Do you think I could use the forward Euler method with a non-zero Neumann boundary to calculate the rate of heat buildup vs rate of heat pass-over to further layers?Thanks a lot. Though it seems...difficult.
Chestermiller said:
The finite difference equation for the flux that you wrote in post #29 is a one-sided difference approximation, and is only first order accurate in Δx. The central difference equation that I had written in an earlier post is a central difference approximation, and is second order accurate in Δx (i.e., much more accurate). For the central difference approximation, the elements are (1+2λ) and -2λ.

For the record, the correct difference equation at x = 0 for the central difference approximation to the heat flux should be:

$$(1+2λ)T_0^n-2λT_1^n=T_0^{n-1}+2λΔx\frac{Q}{k}$$

The numerical solution you presented in your previous post at the end of the first time step looks to me like the results of applying forward euler in time, not backward euler. I know this because all the temperatures should have changed significantly with backward euler, not just the temperature at the boundary.

Chet
Thanks a lot for walking through this whole thing with me, I applaud your patience and keenness in helping people out with physics problems. I figured out what my problem was. I was using alpha as Cp * ro / k, when it is k / Cp / ro. I used backward Euler for both Neuman boundaries (and backward Euler for the equation itself) and results were very close, though not in line with experiemntal data, namely temp only rises to 175C degrees at the surface after 10-20s of constant rubbing, while it should be over 326.8C. The experiement conditions were weird though. Second boundary actually had a heat sink (metal case of valve), and the rubbing was periodic and not constant (by-hand closing).

<h2>1. What is the heat equation and how does it relate to constant surface heat flux?</h2><p>The heat equation is a mathematical representation of how heat is transferred within a system. It describes how the temperature of a material changes over time due to the flow of heat. In the case of constant surface heat flux, the heat equation can be used to calculate the temperature distribution within a material when there is a constant amount of heat being applied at the surface.</p><h2>2. How is the heat equation derived?</h2><p>The heat equation is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and Fourier's law of heat conduction. It takes into account the material properties, such as thermal conductivity, and the boundary conditions, such as constant surface heat flux, to determine the temperature distribution within a material.</p><h2>3. What are the assumptions made in the heat equation for constant surface heat flux?</h2><p>The heat equation assumes that the material is homogeneous, isotropic, and has constant thermal properties. It also assumes that there are no internal heat sources and that the heat flux at the surface remains constant over time.</p><h2>4. How is the heat equation solved for constant surface heat flux?</h2><p>The heat equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, or finite element methods. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using numerical techniques to solve for the temperature distribution at different points within the material.</p><h2>5. What are the practical applications of the heat equation with constant surface heat flux?</h2><p>The heat equation with constant surface heat flux has many practical applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems, thermal insulation, and heat transfer in materials processing. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, geology, and engineering to model heat transfer in various systems.</p>

1. What is the heat equation and how does it relate to constant surface heat flux?

The heat equation is a mathematical representation of how heat is transferred within a system. It describes how the temperature of a material changes over time due to the flow of heat. In the case of constant surface heat flux, the heat equation can be used to calculate the temperature distribution within a material when there is a constant amount of heat being applied at the surface.

2. How is the heat equation derived?

The heat equation is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and Fourier's law of heat conduction. It takes into account the material properties, such as thermal conductivity, and the boundary conditions, such as constant surface heat flux, to determine the temperature distribution within a material.

3. What are the assumptions made in the heat equation for constant surface heat flux?

The heat equation assumes that the material is homogeneous, isotropic, and has constant thermal properties. It also assumes that there are no internal heat sources and that the heat flux at the surface remains constant over time.

4. How is the heat equation solved for constant surface heat flux?

The heat equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, or finite element methods. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using numerical techniques to solve for the temperature distribution at different points within the material.

5. What are the practical applications of the heat equation with constant surface heat flux?

The heat equation with constant surface heat flux has many practical applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems, thermal insulation, and heat transfer in materials processing. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, geology, and engineering to model heat transfer in various systems.