1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat equation in one dimension with constant heat supply

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bar of length ##L## has an initial temperature of ##0^{\circ}C## and while one end (##x=0##) is kept at ##0^{\circ}C## the other end (##x=L##) is heated with a constant rate per unit area ##H##. Find the distribution of temperature on the bar after a time ##t##.

2. Relevant equations

Heat equation in one dimension:
    [tex] \alpha^2u_{xx}=u_t [/tex]
    Initial conditions:
    [tex] u(0,t)=0 [/tex]
    [tex] u(L,t)=\frac{k}{H}t [/tex]
    [tex] u(x,0)=0 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

If ##u(x,t)## can be written as ##u(x,t)=X(x)T(t)## we can separate variables so that the heat equation becomes ##\alpha^2X''(x)T(t)=T'(t)X(t)## which can be written as
    [tex] \alpha^2\frac{X''(x)}{X(x)}=\frac{T'(t)}{T(t)} [/tex]
    and since each side only depends on one variable the two ratios above are constant (because if, for example, I differentiate ##T'/T## with respect to ##x## I get ##0## so ##X''(x)/X(x)## is constant). So I get
    [tex] \alpha^2\frac{X''(x)}{X(x)}=\gamma\Rightarrow{}X(x)=c_1cos\left(\frac{\sqrt{\gamma}}{\alpha}x\right)+c_2sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{\gamma}}{\alpha}x\right) [/tex]
    and
    [tex] \frac{T'(t)}{T(t)}=\gamma\Rightarrow{}T(t)=ce^{\gamma{}t} [/tex]
    Now from the boundary conditions
    [tex] u(0,t)=X(0)T(t)=ce^{\gamma{t}}\left[c_1cos\left(\frac{\sqrt{\gamma}}{\alpha}0\right)+c_2sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{\gamma}}{\alpha}0\right)\right]=0\Rightarrow{}c_1=0 [/tex]
    and now here's where I got into trouble
    [tex] u(L,t)=X(L)T(t)=ce^{\gamma{t}}\left[c_1\cos\left(\frac{\sqrt{\gamma}}{\alpha}L\right)+c_2\sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{\gamma}}{\alpha}L\right)\right]=\frac{k}{H}t [/tex]

But what am I supposed to do with
    [tex] c_2\sin{\left(\frac{\sqrt{\gamma}}{\alpha}L\right)}=\frac {k}{Hce^{\gamma{t}}}t [/tex]
    to keep going to find ##u##?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

To use separation of variables here, you need constant boundary conditions and a non-zero initial condition, which is not what you have. But you can obtain a problem with constant (indeed zero) boundary conditions and a non-zero initial condition.

Consider [tex]f(x,t) = \frac{ktx}{HL} + g(x).[/tex] This satisfies [itex]f(0,t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f(L,t) = \frac{kt}{H}[/itex] provided [itex]g(0) = g(L) = 0[/itex]. If [itex]f[/itex] is to satisfy [itex]f_t = \alpha^2 f_{xx}[/itex] then we need [tex]
    \frac{kx}{HL} = \alpha^2 g''.[/tex] That's a second-order ODE for [itex]g[/itex] and we have two boundary conditions which [itex]g[/itex] must satisfy, so that's OK.

It won't be the case that [itex]f(x,0) = g(x) = 0[/itex], but we can always set [itex]u(x,t) = f(x,t) + v(x,t)[/itex] where [itex]v[/itex] satisfies [tex]
    v_t = \alpha^2 v_{xx}
    [/tex] subject to [itex]v(0,t) = v(L,t) = 0[/itex] and [itex]v(x,0) = -g(x)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted