1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat flux with oscillating heat sink

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    I am curious about the effects of oscillation in a heat transfer system. For example consider a simple system consisting of a heat source, a heat sink, and some generic material through which we will flow heat.

http://tempneff.com/Hflux.png [Broken]

If we stack them all together, without thermal grease or other treatments, then they should transfer heat by [itex]\frac{Q}{t}=\frac{\kappa A(T_{hot}-T_{cold})}{d}[/itex]

where Q= heat transferred, t=time, [itex]\kappa[/itex] = thermal conductivity of barrier, A = area, T= temp, and d=thickness of barrier. Right?

What would be the effect if I were to vibrate the cold side? Instinctively I thought it would interrupt heat flow decreasing Q/t, but I am reading (unless I misunderstand) that sometimes heat transfer is improved by oscillation.

Any thought?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2
    If i understand you correctly, I think the logic is similar to having a fan blowing to the heatsink on the other end, decreases Q/t because it increases heat dispersion thus improves natural convection on the outer surface, therefore improve Heat flux to surrounding.

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    I'll buy that. I still wonder about the magnitude of effect from other dynamics. At high frequency would the friction created have a noticeable effect on the net flux? What about the change in surface area when part of the cold block is shifted off of the 'material'?

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4
    Higher frequency means more oscillation, so its similar to a higher RPM fan which gives better cooling measure..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook