1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer at high temperature

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    I wanted to ask, which type of heat transfer is generally most important for the transportation of heat especially at high temperatures? Does anybody know this? I am talking about temperatures T>1000 K

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As the temperature difference increases, heat transfer by radiation (which goes as the fourth power of temperature) becomes significant and eventually dominates.

4. May 14, 2010 #3
    is this always true, because I need those information especially for metallic conductors?

5. May 14, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, it isn't always true. It depends on the particulars of the system being analyzed.

6. May 14, 2010 #5
    Okay,so maybe I should describe my problem more precisely. I have a conductor and I know his dimensions and his resistivity. Now I should derive a formula from this data, which enables me to calculate his resistivity depending on temperature, but I should only use the most important type of heat transport for temperatures over 1000 K referring to the formula. So I do not even know the material of the conductor. Does someone have an idea?

7. Jun 11, 2010 #6
    it depends upon the geometry and the properties of the surfaces involved.. each case is tied to the control volume and boudnary conditions.... there is really no way anyone can give advice to you unless you could me more specific about the exact problem you pose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook