1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer between two temperatures

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to calculate energy loss between two areas. One area is -25C and another is +15. The contact area(door) is 20m^2. Is convective heat transfer formula the right way to calculate it, or what should I use? I want to find out the how many kW I need to keep cold area at -25 when the door is open.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like a lost cause from your description so far .

If this is a cold room type problem the solution may lie more in redesigning the door system than in calculations and installation of high power cooling equipment .

Anyway not enough information to give proper answers . Please describe the problem in more detail .

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3
    I agree that the solution lies in door system, but the payback on that door system depends on how much do I lose by not doing it.
    I appreciate there might be no way how to easily calculate it.

My problem is: I've got a site that is cooled down to -25C. I was told that opening the door(10.2m^2) to the yard(+15C) costs me 500KWh , but I've got no way of verifying that statement. Is there a way how to verify that or not?

Thank you

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may be possible to come up with an answer experimentally .

You will have a power usage meter supplied by the power company .

Keep the door permanently closed for at least 24 hours - maybe during a holiday period . Measure the power used during this period .

Measure the power used on a normal working day with doors opening and closing for the same period .

See how much difference there is in power usage .

Ideally repeat the experiment a few times .

The above will give reasonable answers if the cold room uses most of the power coming into your site .

You can do a very accurate assesment if you privately install a power usage meter specifically for the cold room .

6. Feb 17, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What fraction of the time is the door open for during normal working ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook