Heat Transfer Calc for Oil Tank in Formula Student Car

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
beckspp
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,
This is for my university project.I need to design a oil tank for the formula student car.The first stage is the analysis of the existing stock oil tank (Aprilia SXV 550 is the engine).I need to find out the heat lost/transferred from the of the existing oil tank.How can I calculate the inlet and exit temperature of the Lubricating oil(passing through the tank).
I need to do the corresponding heat loss calculations happening through the oil tank.
I will be considering all the modes of heat transfer
Conduction,Convection and Radiation.
Please tell me How can I justify that a particular value of heat is lost from the oil tank with the help of calculations.And what formulas of heat transfer should i use (Fourier's,Newton's Law of cooling ...?)
What is the suitable FEA package that can be used for justifying my results...?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


You're going to need to know what the temperature and flow rate of the oil is coming into the oil pan, or maybe an average tempertuare of oil in the pan. Then, given a flow of air over the pan you can calculate the convective coeffcient and the heat loss through convection.

My guess is you'll be able to ignore radiation heat loss in this case.
 


hello
you said student Formula car...if this is right...you have big task ahead of you..can you post photos of engine and the FC
 


Mech_Engineer said:
You're going to need to know what the temperature and flow rate of the oil is coming into the oil pan, or maybe an average tempertuare of oil in the pan. Then, given a flow of air over the pan you can calculate the convective coeffcient and the heat loss through convection.

My guess is you'll be able to ignore radiation heat loss in this case.
Thank you Mech_Engineer...
How should I measure these values..Any Ideas or suggestions...?
It will be helpful for me.
 


Well, you could start with the obvious- an http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3348-M/ ...

Why do you care about the heat flow out of an oil pan though, why not use an oil cooler?
 
Last edited by a moderator: