Oil Tank Analysis for Formula Student Car: Heat Transfer Calculations

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
beckspp
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,
This is for my university project.I need to design a oil tank for the formula student car.The first stage is the analysis of the existing stock oil tank (Aprilia SXV 550 is the engine).I need to find out the heat lost/transferred from the of the existing oil tank.How can I calculate the inlet and exit temperature of the Lubricating oil(passing through the tank).
I need to do the corresponding heat loss calculations happening through the oil tank.
I will be considering all the modes of heat transfer
Conduction,Convection and Radiation.
Please tell me How can I justify that a particular value of heat is lost from the oil tank with the help of calculations.And what formulas of heat transfer should i use (Fourier's,Newton's Law of cooling ...?)
What is the suitable FEA package that can be used for justifying my results...?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


First I would measure or look up the existing steady state (eg end of race) values for:

Inlet and outlet oil temperature
Oil Flow rate
Heat Capacity of the oil

eg measure the first two and look up the last.

Then you can easily work out how much power is being dissipated by the existing tank/oil cooler.

Presumably the new lank has to be smaller, lighter and dissipate the same or more power.
 
Last edited:


CWatters said:
First I would measure or look up the existing steady state (eg end of race) values for:

Inlet and outlet oil temperature
Oil Flow rate
Heat Capacity of the oil

eg measure the first two and look up the last.

Then you can easily work out how much power is being dissipated by the existing tank/oil cooler.

Presumably the new lank has to be smaller, lighter and dissipate the same or more power.
Thanks CWatters...