Heat Transfer-How long will it take for a material to heat up

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matthias85
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Material
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Matthias85
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A cylinder made out of AL 6061-T5, dimensions d 10mm, L 28mm. Is put into an oven pre-heated to 100 deg C.
How long will it take for the cylinder to reach 100 deg C ?

Homework Equations


None given, this is not a homework question or even material I have been taught.
I have found a Nusselt equation in form of:
Nu = C.(Gr.Pr)n.K

The Attempt at a Solution


Nusselt equation gave me a number of 1500 hours.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As stated in the first post:

A solid cylinder made out of AL 6061-T5, dimensions d 10mm, L 28mm. Is put into an oven pre-heated to 100 deg C.
How long will it take for the cylinder to reach 100 deg C ?
 
Mathematically, your analysis should predict that it will take an infinite amount of time to reach 100 C, but it will reach 99.99 C in a much shorter time than 1500 hours. Please show us the details of your calculations.

chet
 
I can't find my precious calculations. I attach my most recent calculations, which still seem to be wrong.
I am pretty sure it should not take longer than half an hour to heat up a small AL cylinder to ~100 deg C.
HT.jpg
 
The heat transfer coefficient looks like it's about the right order of magnitude. Don't forget that, as the temperature difference decreases, the heat transfer coefficient is going to be decreasing because of the decrease in the Grashoff number. That can be included in the analysis. According to the correlation you are using, the cylinder is horizontal. How is the cylinder levitated? Are there fans in the oven, or is it really just stagnant?

Let's see the rest of your analysis to calculate the transient temperature variation.

Chet
 
The AL cylinder is placed on a steel plate in furnace with fan turned on to ensure uniform heat distribution.

I followed your advice and taken into account decrease in Br and Gr numbers.
Time has now reduced to 7 and a half hours.

HT_temp.jpg
 
The placement of the cylinder on a steel plate is not consistent with the natural convection assumption that the cylinder is levitated. The steel plate is going to interfere with the natural convective flow and slow down the rate of heat transfer. On the other hand, the operation of a fan in the enclosure is very likely to significantly enhance the rate of heat transfer (i.e., increase the heat transfer coefficient). I'm going to try a calculation with a constant heat transfer coefficient of 10 W/m^2K to see if I can confirm your results. Get back to you later.

Chet
 
OK. With a constant heat transfer coefficient of 10 W/K(m^2), I get about 40 minutes for the temperature to reach 98 C. If the heat transfer coefficient were higher, I would get a lower amount of time.

Chet
 
Thank you for your help.
May you please share your calculations with me?
 
Matthias85 said:
Thank you for your help.
May you please share your calculations with me?
The differential equation I used was:
$$mC\frac{dT}{dt}=πDLh(100-T)$$
where m is the mass of the cylinder (6 gm), C is the heat capacity of aluminum (0.9 J/gC), D is the diameter of the cylinder (1 cm), L is the length of the cylinder (2.8 cm), and h is the heat transfer coefficient (10 W/m^2-sec-C). Based on this data, what do you calculate for the quantity ##\frac{mC}{πDLh}## (in units of seconds)?

Chet