1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer with internal heat generation

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    In a heat transfer with internal heat generation what does the term "internal heat generation" mean?
    Is that applicable only if a body itself produces some heat (Like current carrying wires,nuclear fuel rods etc)

Or if i have a two cylinders one within another,and if inner cylinder is heated radially with some steam jackets,is it a internal heat generation for outer cylinder ?

Pls forgive me if i have asked anything stupid.

Note: Heat transfer is only my pleasure reading and i'm not an engineer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2
    Is my question unclear ? I don't have any replies

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Yes that's exactly what it means. A good example that I can think of from one of my homework problems from my heat transfer class was the analysis of the the cooling of a microprocessor. Since we analyzed the processor while it was on, the processor's internal heat generation had to be considered.

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    The mechanism of internal heat generation that I think of first is exothermic chemical reaction, which occurs within the body or fluid. Also, microwave heating is another mechanism. Endothermic chemical reaction is negative internal heat generation. Another mechanism is viscous heat generation, which has to be taken into account in processing high viscosity liquids, such as polymer melts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook