Heat transfer with internal heat generation

In summary, internal heat generation refers to the production of heat within a body or fluid, which can occur through various mechanisms such as exothermic chemical reactions, microwave heating, and viscous heat generation. This term is important to consider in heat transfer analysis, as it can affect the overall transfer of heat within a system.
sriram123
In a heat transfer with internal heat generation what does the term "internal heat generation" mean?
Is that applicable only if a body itself produces some heat (Like current carrying wires,nuclear fuel rods etc)

Or if i have a two cylinders one within another,and if inner cylinder is heated radially with some steam jackets,is it a internal heat generation for outer cylinder ?

Pls forgive me if i have asked anything stupid.

Note: Heat transfer is only my pleasure reading and I'm not an engineer.

Science news on Phys.org
Is my question unclear ? I don't have any replies

Yes that's exactly what it means. A good example that I can think of from one of my homework problems from my heat transfer class was the analysis of the the cooling of a microprocessor. Since we analyzed the processor while it was on, the processor's internal heat generation had to be considered.

sriram123 said:
In a heat transfer with internal heat generation what does the term "internal heat generation" mean?
Is that applicable only if a body itself produces some heat (Like current carrying wires,nuclear fuel rods etc)

Or if i have a two cylinders one within another,and if inner cylinder is heated radially with some steam jackets,is it a internal heat generation for outer cylinder ?

Pls forgive me if i have asked anything stupid.

Note: Heat transfer is only my pleasure reading and I'm not an engineer.

The mechanism of internal heat generation that I think of first is exothermic chemical reaction, which occurs within the body or fluid. Also, microwave heating is another mechanism. Endothermic chemical reaction is negative internal heat generation. Another mechanism is viscous heat generation, which has to be taken into account in processing high viscosity liquids, such as polymer melts.

I can provide an explanation for the term "internal heat generation" in the context of heat transfer. Internal heat generation refers to the production of heat within a body or system, rather than the transfer of heat from an external source. This can occur due to various processes such as chemical reactions, electrical resistance, or nuclear reactions.

In the examples you mentioned, such as current carrying wires or nuclear fuel rods, the heat is being generated within the body itself. However, in the case of the two cylinders, if the inner cylinder is heated by steam jackets, the heat is being transferred from an external source and is not considered internal heat generation for the outer cylinder.

I hope this explanation helps clarify your understanding of internal heat generation. And please don't worry about asking "stupid" questions, as a scientist, I believe that curiosity and asking questions is an important part of learning.

1. What is heat transfer with internal heat generation?

Heat transfer with internal heat generation is the process of heat transfer that occurs within a material due to the presence of a heat source or heat sink within the material itself. This can be seen in various natural and industrial processes, such as geothermal heating, nuclear reactors, and electronics cooling.

2. How is heat transfer with internal heat generation different from other types of heat transfer?

Unlike other types of heat transfer, which involve heat moving from a higher temperature source to a lower temperature sink, heat transfer with internal heat generation involves heat being generated within the material itself. This can result in higher temperatures within the material and can affect the overall heat transfer process.

3. What factors affect heat transfer with internal heat generation?

Several factors can affect heat transfer with internal heat generation, including the material properties (such as thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity), the rate of heat generation, and the boundary conditions (such as external temperature and convective heat transfer coefficients).

4. How is heat transfer with internal heat generation calculated or modeled?

Heat transfer with internal heat generation can be calculated or modeled using various mathematical equations, such as the heat equation or the energy balance equation. These equations take into account the material properties, boundary conditions, and rate of heat generation to determine the temperature distribution within the material.

5. What are some applications of heat transfer with internal heat generation?

Heat transfer with internal heat generation has many practical applications, including in the design of heating and cooling systems, power generation, and materials processing. It is also used in the study of natural processes, such as the Earth's geothermal energy and the formation of stars.