Heating a Heat Engine - Efficiency Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the efficiency of a heat engine and determining the input energy. The main concerns are measuring the heat going into the stirling rather than coming out of the heater, and whether to maintain a constant temperature or constant heat energy. One solution suggested is using calorimetry to calculate the usable energy based on the temperature difference between the heat source and heat sink.
Tawaffles
Hi.

Im trying to measure the efficiency of a heat engine. I therefore need to work out what the input energy is to the heat engine.

I have two problems. Firstly, how should I measure the heat going into the stirling rather than the heat coming out of the heater. Is it ok to measure the temperature of the heat engine as an indication of the heat input energy?

Secondly, should I be trying to put in a contstant temperature, or constant heat energy? So, should I be saying, I need my heater to keep it at 18C or should I say, I need to be putting 5KW into into constantly?

Im trying to compare the mechanical output to the heat input.

James

Science news on Phys.org
Maybe try something with calorimetry.

The actual amount of usable energy you should be able to use with a heat engine should be the related to the difference in temperature between your heat source and your heat sink.

What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work. It typically consists of a heat source, a working fluid, and a mechanism to convert the thermal energy into mechanical energy.

How is the efficiency of a heat engine calculated?

The efficiency of a heat engine is calculated by dividing the mechanical work output by the heat energy input. This is known as the thermal efficiency and is typically expressed as a percentage.

What factors affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the heat source and the heat sink, the type of working fluid used, and the design and construction of the engine.

What is the Carnot efficiency?

The Carnot efficiency is the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine operating between two given temperatures. It is determined by the Carnot cycle and is based on the second law of thermodynamics.

How can the efficiency of a heat engine be improved?

The efficiency of a heat engine can be improved by increasing the temperature difference between the heat source and the heat sink, using a more efficient working fluid, and reducing energy losses through better design and construction. Additionally, using multiple stages and regenerative heat exchangers can also improve efficiency.