Generating an Exothermic Reaction with Vinegar and Bicarb

In summary, the person is looking to create an exothermic reaction using vinegar and Bicarb, but mixing them produces CO2 in an endothermic reaction. They are considering boiling off the water from the resulting sodium acetate solution and using it as a handwarmer solution. They are wondering if this can be done with basic lab equipment.
Carlo09
Ok so I have some vinegar and Bicarb and want to generate an exothermic reaction, but just mixing them produces CO2 in an endothermic reaction! How can I do this? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Carlo09 said:
Ok so I have some vinegar and Bicarb and want to generate an exothermic reaction, but just mixing them produces CO2 in an endothermic reaction! How can I do this? Thank you.

Ok I have an idea, Mixing bicarb and vinegar produces sodium acetate solution in water. Concentrating this by boiling off the water and then maybe making a handwarmer type solution ... supersaturated sodium acetate solution and then cause it to crystalise to heat the water? Could it work using basic lab equipment?

1. How do you generate an exothermic reaction with vinegar and bicarb?

To generate an exothermic reaction with vinegar and bicarb, you will need to mix equal parts of vinegar and bicarbonate of soda (also known as baking soda) in a container. The two substances will react and produce carbon dioxide gas, water, and sodium acetate. This reaction will release energy in the form of heat, making it an exothermic reaction.

2. What is the purpose of generating an exothermic reaction with vinegar and bicarb?

The purpose of generating an exothermic reaction with vinegar and bicarb is to demonstrate a chemical reaction that produces heat energy. This reaction is commonly used in science experiments and can also be used to create homemade volcanoes or to launch small rockets.

3. What precautions should be taken when generating an exothermic reaction with vinegar and bicarb?

When generating an exothermic reaction with vinegar and bicarb, it is important to wear protective gear such as goggles and gloves to avoid any contact with the substances. Also, ensure that the reaction takes place in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. Lastly, do not use large quantities of vinegar and bicarb as the reaction can become too vigorous and cause the container to overflow.

4. Can other substances be used instead of vinegar and bicarb to generate an exothermic reaction?

Yes, other substances such as lemon juice, citric acid, or even vitamin C tablets can be used instead of vinegar to generate an exothermic reaction with bicarb. However, the reaction may vary in speed and intensity depending on the substances used.

5. Are there any real-life applications of exothermic reactions with vinegar and bicarb?

Exothermic reactions with vinegar and bicarb can be used in various industries, such as in the production of baking powder, in cooking and baking, and in the production of effervescent tablets. It is also used in household cleaning products to create a foaming action for scrubbing and removing tough stains.