Heavy hole's and light holes

In summary, a hole is a missing electron in the valence band of a semiconductor. A semiconductor is a material with a specific range of conduction electron concentration. A direct-gap semiconductor has its conduction band edge and valence band edge on the same vertical in the k-E graph. However, the concept of heavy holes, light holes, and split off holes can be confusing. Further clarification can be found in the following resource: http://touch.caltech.edu/courses/EE40%20Web%20Files/Supplements/01_Effective_Mass.pdf [Broken]
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

A hole is just a valence band with one missing electron. A semiconductor is just a material that has its conduction electron concentration within a certain range. A direct-gap semiconductor is just a semiconductor with the conduction band edge and the valence band edge on the same vertical in the k-E graph.

But then my book talks about heavy holes and light holes and split off holes and I just don't understand what they are.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

http://touch.caltech.edu/courses/EE40%20Web%20Files/Supplements/01_Effective_Mass.pdf [Broken]​

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Does this help?

http://touch.caltech.edu/courses/EE40%20Web%20Files/Supplements/01_Effective_Mass.pdf [Broken]​

Sorry, not really. I just don't understand what they are. I don't understand how you can have three different valence bands when I thought by definition there was only one?

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I NEED TO UNDERSTAND THIS! What is a heavy hole and what is a light hole?

Last edited:
Help!

1. What are heavy holes and light holes?

Heavy holes and light holes are terms used to describe two different electron energy levels in a semiconductor material. Heavy holes have a higher energy level and are associated with heavier atoms, while light holes have a lower energy level and are associated with lighter atoms.

2. How do heavy holes and light holes affect the properties of a material?

The presence of heavy holes and light holes in a material can significantly impact its electrical and optical properties. The energy difference between these two levels can affect the absorption and emission of light, as well as the mobility and conductivity of electrons in the material.

3. What is the significance of heavy holes and light holes in optoelectronic devices?

Optoelectronic devices, such as solar cells and LEDs, rely on the interaction between light and electrons in a material. The energy levels of heavy holes and light holes play a crucial role in determining the efficiency and performance of these devices.

4. How are heavy holes and light holes created in a material?

Heavy holes and light holes are created through a process called bandgap engineering, where the bandgap of a material is modified to create different energy levels for electrons. This can be achieved by doping the material with different atoms or by applying external electric fields.

5. Can heavy holes and light holes be manipulated?

Yes, heavy holes and light holes can be manipulated through various techniques, such as strain engineering, quantum confinement, and surface modification. These manipulations can alter the energy levels and properties of the material, making it suitable for specific applications.