Heeelp with this antiderivative (silly question prob.)

In summary, differentiating sin(4x) with cos(4x) yields -1/4 cos(4x) since they are the inverse of each other.
frasifrasi
As an example for the tabular method, my book says that the antiderivative of

sin 4x is -1/4 cos 4x...

My calc I fundamentals are obviously rusty, so can anyone explain why it is -1/4cos 4x as opposed to just cos 4x like i thought?

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
differentiate your "opposed" and tell me what you get

what steps would you take in differentiating your answer?

what is the derivative of cos? will it be positive or negative? if you have an angle with constants on it or in general, is not just x, what would you have to do in differentiating?

Last edited:
You can use a u sub to show why it would be -1/4

The Integrand of Sin(4x)dx

u=4x du = 4dx du/4=x

So 1/4Integrand of Sinu du

Now Integrate.

The Antidev of Sin(u) is -Cos(u)

Now that is being multiplied by 1/4 too

So you get -1/4 * Cos(4x)

Thank you poweriso, you actually helped. Correct me if i am wrong, but when you get something like the integral of sin(4x), isn't standard to assume it is -cos (4x) like 4x = x?

It is the first time I have seen this on the text.

frasifrasi said:
Thank you poweriso, you actually helped. Correct me if i am wrong, but when you get something like the integral of sin(4x), isn't standard to assume it is -cos (4x) like 4x = x?

I think the general form would aid you.

Int(sin(kx),x) = -1/k cos(kx) + C
Int(cos(kx),x) = 1/k sin(kx) + C

where k is a constant

Edit: Never mind, you're using substitution.

For the problem you stated, you could replace the "4x" with "u", but you must also change the "dx" to some form of "du". In your case, if "4x" = "u", then "4dx" = "du" by differentiating both sides. Then you could see that you could substitute 4x with you and dx with du/4. From there, you would have:

Int(sin(u) du/4) = 1/4 Int(sin(u) du) = -1/4 cos(u) + C.

Then you substitute back in 4x for u, which gives:

-1/4 cos(4x) + C

Last edited:
Is the derivative of sin(4x) equal to cos(4x)? The chain rule has an integration counterpart

frasifrasi said:

No and you can tell it's wrong by doing the derivative. You'll have to use the Chain rule because your x is actually an x times a constant which makes it a more complicated x.

So -Cos(4x) would be Sin(4x) * 4

So you do not get your F(x). It is pretty obvious that they differ by a constant though.

So like it has been stated before, generally speaking, when you have constant * x within a trig function it'll turn into 1/k where k is a constant * trig function.

I wouldn't worry to much about that though. If you can do U sub you can figure it out easily enough. Later on, it'll be as naturally as adding numbers in your head.

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function back.

2. Why would I need help with an antiderivative?

Antiderivatives can be complex and require a deep understanding of calculus. It is common for students or even professionals to seek help when dealing with antiderivatives.

3. How do I solve an antiderivative?

There is no one-size-fits-all method for solving antiderivatives. It involves using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus principles and rules to solve antiderivatives effectively.

4. Can I use a calculator to find antiderivatives?

While some calculators may have built-in antiderivative functions, it is important to understand the process of solving antiderivatives by hand. Calculators can be helpful for checking your work, but it is not recommended to rely on them for finding solutions.

5. Are there any tips for solving antiderivatives?

Practice is key when it comes to solving antiderivatives. It is important to understand the fundamental principles and rules of calculus, and to familiarize yourself with common techniques for solving antiderivatives. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to get additional guidance and support.