Heisenberg uncertainty principle in R^n

In summary, the conversation discusses the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the Plancherel's theorem for functions in the Schwartz space. The goal is to show that the product of two integrals, one over the squared function and one over the squared Fourier transform, is greater than or equal to n^2/16\pi^2. To approach this, the suggestion is made to convert the functions from cartesian to spherical coordinates.
kittensies

Homework Statement

[tex]\phi(x)[/tex] is in Schwartz space, and [tex]{\int|\phi(x)|^2dx=1[/tex].
I need to show that [tex](\int_{R^n}|x|^2|\phi(x)|^2dx)(\int_{R^n}|\xi|^2|\phi(\xi)|^2d\xi)\geq \dfrac{n^2}{16\pi^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Heisenberg uncertainty in one dimension:
[tex](\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|x|^2|\phi(x)|^2dx)(\int__{-\infty}^{\infty}|\xi|^2|\phi(\xi)|^2d\xi)\geq \dfrac{1}{16\pi^2}[/tex]

Plancherel's theorem, probably: For any function in S(R), [tex]||f||=||\hat{f}||=(\int|f(x)|^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]

Cauchy Schwartz inequality

Anything else?

The Attempt at a Solution

If I expand the integral, I get
[tex](\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}...\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(x_1+x_2+...+x_n)|\phi(x_1,x_2...)|^2dx_1 dx_2...d_x_n)[/tex]

I guess I need to show that this is at least [tex]n/4\pi[/tex]

If I expand the polynomial and decompose, I get

[tex](\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}...\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(x_1)|\phi(x_1,x_2...)|^2dx_1 dx_2...d_x_n)+(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}...\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(x_2)|\phi(x_1,x_2...)|^2dx_1 dx_2...d_x_n)+...+(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}...\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(x_n)|\phi(x_1,x_2...)|^2dx_1 dx_2...d_x_n)[/tex]

But each of the integrals evaluated individually is greater than [tex]1/16\pi \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}1dx_1... dx_{i-1} dx_{x+1}...d_x_n)[/tex] which blows up into [tex]1/16\pi \Pi_{i\neq j}x_i. [/tex]I have a feeling that's not what's supposed to happen.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can give you a hint to convert the functions in R^n from cartesian to spherical coordinates.

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in R^n?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle, also known as the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the precise position and momentum of a particle. This principle was proposed by Werner Heisenberg in 1927 and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle apply to R^n space?

In R^n space, the uncertainty principle holds true for all dimensions. This means that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle in three-dimensional space, as well as in higher dimensions. The uncertainty principle also applies to other physical quantities, such as energy and time.

3. Can the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. It is a fundamental limitation of our ability to measure the properties of particles.

4. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, where it is believed that everything can be measured with precision. It shows that at the subatomic level, there is inherent uncertainty and unpredictability, and we can only make probabilistic predictions about the behavior of particles.

5. How is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle related to the wave-particle duality of particles?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is closely related to the wave-particle duality of particles. It suggests that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, and it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.