Helicopter Motion Question

In summary, the height of a helicopter above the ground is given by h=3.00t^3 and the distance an object falls is represented by d=v_1t + \frac{1}{2}at^2. Using these equations, it was determined that the object would reach the ground after 2.21 seconds. However, the initial assumption that the velocity of the helicopter was 0 was incorrect and once the correct initial conditions are substituted, the solution can be found by solving for t.
Vii

Homework Statement

The height of a helicopter above the ground is given by [tex]h=3.00t^3[/tex], where h is in meters and t is in seconds. After 2.00s, the helicopter releases a small mailbag. How long after its release does the mailbag reach the ground?

Homework Equations

[tex]d=v_1t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I figured out what the height would be at 2.00s by substituting t with 2.00s.

[tex]h=3.00(2.00)^3[/tex]
[tex]h=24m[/tex]

Then I took [tex]d=v_1t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] and plugged in 24m at d and assumed [tex]v_1[/tex] as 0.

[tex]24=0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]24=\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

And plugged in 9.8m/s^2 into a.

[tex]24=\frac{1}{2}9.8t^2[/tex]

Which gave me t=2.21s

The answer is wrong and I cannot figure out how to do this problem.

I think my assumption of [tex]v_1=0[/tex] is wrong. Furthermore, I think my assumption that the helicopter stops ascending at the time the package is dropped is also wrong. I've racked my brain on this question for a good 2 days now and I still can't figure out how to arrive at the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get the velocity of the helicopter by taking the derivative dh/dt... then plug in the time... and you get v1.

Oooh, now why didn't I think of that before? Thank you!

But I've arrived at another problem: how to you tackle the height? Do you just use [tex]3.00t^3[/tex] to replace d, rearrange and get solve the quadratic equation?

i.e.

[tex]3.00t^3=v_1t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

Vii said:
Oooh, now why didn't I think of that before? Thank you!

But I've arrived at another problem: how to you tackle the height? Do you just use [tex]3.00t^3[/tex] to replace d, rearrange and get solve the quadratic equation?

i.e.

[tex]3.00t^3=v_1t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

No that's not right.

The 3.00t^3 only works for the moment the object is released... after that it just falls downwards (it is no longer attached to the helicopter)...

Use the 3.00t^3 to get the initial conditions... ie the objects initial height and velocity... but after that you don't need it.

Sorry. I'm afraid I still don't get it. I'm really horrible at Physics...

So, I get the initial conditions (the height and velocity) and substitute it into the equation and solve for t?

Vii said:
Sorry. I'm afraid I still don't get it. I'm really horrible at Physics...

So, I get the initial conditions (the height and velocity) and substitute it into the equation and solve for t?

Yes, just like in your initial post... everything is right except you assumed v1 was 0... find v1... then do the problem just like in your first post.

Oh! Thank you so much!

1. What is helicopter motion and how does it work?

Helicopter motion refers to the movement of a helicopter through the air. It is achieved through the rotation of the main rotor, which produces lift and thrust, allowing the helicopter to move in different directions. The tail rotor is used for stability and control.

2. What factors affect the motion of a helicopter?

The motion of a helicopter can be affected by various factors such as air density, wind speed and direction, weight and balance of the helicopter, and the angle of the rotor blades. These factors can impact the lift, thrust, and stability of the helicopter.

3. How does a helicopter hover in the air?

A helicopter is able to hover in the air by maintaining a balance between lift and weight, and thrust and drag. The main rotor produces lift to counteract the helicopter's weight, while the tail rotor produces thrust to counteract the drag caused by the main rotor.

4. Can a helicopter fly backwards?

Yes, a helicopter can fly backwards by adjusting the angle of the rotor blades and using the tail rotor to provide thrust in the desired direction. This maneuver is known as a "backwards flight" and is commonly used in helicopter operations.

5. How does a helicopter turn in the air?

A helicopter can turn in the air by changing the angle of the rotor blades on one side, creating more lift and thrust on that side. This causes the helicopter to tilt and turn in the desired direction. The tail rotor also plays a role in stabilizing and controlling the turn.