Helicopter Rescue Device - real application

In summary: Under higher speeds the survivor's momentum will carry him a long way and he would not swing as much.In summary, a helicopter can't stop and hover, but could snag a survivor or critically injured litter patient at around 30 knots (15 meters per second). A similar device (Fulton Recovery system) has been used from airplanes at over 100 knots (see James Bond/Green Beret movies).
rehaston
I'm doing background research on a real application. At high altitudes (and/or when people are shooting at you) helicopters can't stop and hover, but could snag a survivor or critically injured litter patient at around 30 knots (15 meters per second) A similar device (Fulton Recovery system) has been used from airplanes at over 100 knots (see James Bond/Green Beret movies).

Just to check my math, this would be the same equation as a ballistic pendulm. A 15 M/sec speed would result in the survivor swinging to a maximum height of 11.48 meters, with the maximum G load based on the cosine of the length of the line. A line 23 meters long wouls result in a 2G max load.

The design would be trainling a line with a hook, rather like a fighter's tail hook, which would snag a loop held horizontal above the survivor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post did not make any sense. Are you trying to figure out what happens, under high altitude conditions, when people shoot at a hanging survivor?

I believe that one should rather see the situation as a pendulum with the kinetic energy of the survivor converted into potential energy as he rises upwards. With the ballistic theory one would have a rather massive hook and a less massive survivor, which is not the case here.

By the load I guess that you are referring to the tension in the cable? Which at liftoff will be given by

[tex]T = m(\frac{v^2}{L} + g)[/tex]

if one views it as a pendulum again.

http://www.flightjournal.com/articles/skyhook/skyhook.asp"

I would think that one should rather sit with one's back towards the up line!

Yes, one can regard the swing up via an energy conservation principle - which gives a rising height of 11.5 meters for a 23 meter line. I would think that the drag on the person being lifted will determine by how much he will initially (plane in level flight) rise though since much of the energy will be lost due to drag (upwards speed decreases).

The speed that you mention - 30 knots is quite low (55.5 km/h). I saw a value of 120 knots on the navy seal pages. The g-force seems to be around 1 for 30 knots.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Helicopter Rescue Device (HRD) and how does it work?

The HRD is a specialized piece of equipment used in helicopter rescues to safely lower a rescuer or victim from a hovering helicopter to the ground. It consists of a harness, rope, and braking system that allows for controlled descent.

2. What are some real-world applications of HRDs?

HRDs are commonly used in search and rescue operations, particularly in mountainous or remote areas where traditional rescue methods are not feasible. They are also used in emergency medical evacuations and for rescuing people from tall structures or confined spaces.

3. How are HRDs different from other types of rescue equipment?

HRDs are specifically designed for helicopter rescues and are able to safely lower a person from the air to the ground. Other rescue equipment, such as ropes and harnesses, may be used for similar purposes but are not designed for use with helicopters.

4. Are there any risks or limitations associated with using HRDs?

As with any piece of equipment, there are always risks involved in using an HRD. It is important for rescuers to be properly trained in their use and to follow all safety protocols. Additionally, HRDs may not be suitable for all rescue situations, such as in extreme weather conditions or in areas with limited helicopter access.

5. What advancements have been made in HRD technology?

Over the years, HRDs have undergone significant improvements to make them more efficient and safe. Some advancements include the use of stronger and lighter materials, improved braking systems, and the incorporation of GPS technology for more accurate positioning during rescues.