Can Practice Help Improve Algebraic Difficulty?

• Thread starter silenzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is struggling with algebra and often fails on tests due to difficulty with numbers. The expert recommends practicing problems and checking answers to improve understanding. They also advise managing time and becoming familiar with different types of problems through practice.
silenzer
Hi,

I suffer from immense algebraic difficulty. I always understand the material in math 90-100%, but I always flunk on tests (last I got 12%...) because I'm so clumsy with numbers. Are there any practices that focus specifically on that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes...the kinds of problems that you can't do on the tests. Find problems like those and do them.

Also, make sure you get a hold of problems that have answers...just to make sure, because you saying that you understand math does not mean it is true...maybe you just think you do...

Another habit that you may need to develop is to get back to the beginning of the problem and make sure that the answer you came up with solves the problem...

Here are some questions, see how many you get right the first time, no looking.

silenzer said:
Hi,

I suffer from immense algebraic difficulty. I always understand the material in math 90-100%, but I always flunk on tests (last I got 12%...) because I'm so clumsy with numbers. Are there any practices that focus specifically on that?
Getting the material is great, but it would be even better if you practiced problems based on what you know. Practice is probably the most fundamental thing you can do to show that you really know something.

I understand how you feel. I failed my first Calc 2 Exam and everyone was shocked that I failed because I helped my friends out with the material and I got a lower score than them. 2 reasons stood out to me as to why I did so horribly: Time and shock. I did not manage my time as well as I should have (spent a lot of time in one single problem...). Also with time was time pressure (I was not used to taking an exam with so little time.) Also the shock of the exam. When I first saw the exam, my mind was just blown because I haven't been exposed to enough problems. This is where the practice will help. Do problems in your textbook and make sure you understand everything.

What is "Help Algebraic difficulty"?

"Help Algebraic difficulty" refers to a type of mathematical problem that involves solving equations with variables and symbols. It is often encountered in algebra courses and can be challenging for many students.

Why is "Help Algebraic difficulty" important?

"Help Algebraic difficulty" is important because it helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also a fundamental aspect of mathematics and is used in many real-world applications, such as finance, engineering, and science.

What are some tips for solving "Help Algebraic difficulty" problems?

Some tips for solving "Help Algebraic difficulty" problems include understanding the basic rules of algebra, practicing regularly, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also helpful to work with a tutor or study group.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Help Algebraic difficulty" problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Help Algebraic difficulty" problems include not distributing properly, forgetting to combine like terms, and making errors in basic arithmetic. It is also important to check your work and make sure all steps are clearly shown.

How can I improve my skills in solving "Help Algebraic difficulty" problems?

To improve your skills in solving "Help Algebraic difficulty" problems, you can practice regularly, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and try to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. It is also helpful to challenge yourself with more difficult problems and to review your mistakes to learn from them.