Help: Application window too large: OK button off screen

In summary, the problem was that the screen resolution was too low. The solution was to change the orientation of the display.
Doc Al
Mentor
I'm trying to get some software working to automatically download podcasts to my girlfriend's PC. The problem is that the window for setting options is too big, so not all of it is accessible. In particular, the "OK" button is off the screen, so I can't save the options. D'oh! I've been unable to move it around to reach that button with my cursor. Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try just pressing enter, or tab and then enter to highlight (via guesswork) the OK button?

It might be that the screen resolution is too low. There is a fair amount of software that requires at least 1024x768, so if check if you are running 800x600 or 640x480. At worst it will be a hassle just to change the resolution to complete this one action and then have to change it back, at best you will find the new resolution to be a less blurry higher quality picture that is easier on the eyes in general.

cristo said:
Try just pressing enter, or tab and then enter to highlight (via guesswork) the OK button?
Tried that. (And a million other keystroke combinations.) Didn't work.

I think Crosson is on the right track. If you're using Windows, CTRL-ALT-DEL to get the task manager and shut down the application. Then right click on the desktop to get to properties, choose the "settings" tab and set the video card to a high-resolution mode. Restart the application, set and save your options, and then set the screen resolution back to where you want it.

You only need a high resolution display - you can set the color depth at 8-bit or whatever for this task.

Crosson said:
It might be that the screen resolution is too low. There is a fair amount of software that requires at least 1024x768, so if check if you are running 800x600 or 640x480. At worst it will be a hassle just to change the resolution to complete this one action and then have to change it back, at best you will find the new resolution to be a less blurry higher quality picture that is easier on the eyes in general.
That was it. The resolution was set too low. Thanks, Crosson! :smile:

(And thanks, turbo.)

there's a temporary way you can use if you really want to reach that button...

you can change the orientation of your display.

by the way this is for windows 7

1. on the desktop, right click it and choose screen resolution
2. look for the orientation drop down list.
3. choose either portrait, landscape (flipped) or portrait (flipped) it's up to you
this will change the orientation of your display
4. then click keep changes

reminder: it's quite difficult to maneuver the mouse because the orientation is changed. you can use with it for the mean time.

5. you can now reach that button of yours. YES!
6. if your done, just change again the orientation steps 1 to 4

Salamat po.

Last edited:

1. How do I fix the issue of the application window being too large?

To fix this issue, you can try resizing the application window by clicking and dragging the edges of the window. You can also try pressing the "Windows" key and the left or right arrow key to snap the window to one side of the screen.

2. Why is the OK button off screen in my application window?

This can happen if your screen resolution is too low or if the application was designed for a larger screen. It can also occur if you have multiple monitors and the application is opened on a secondary monitor with a different resolution.

3. Is there a shortcut to resize the application window?

Yes, you can press the "Windows" key and the up or down arrow key to maximize or minimize the application window.

4. Can I adjust the screen resolution to fix this issue?

Yes, you can try adjusting the screen resolution in your computer's display settings. However, this may affect the appearance of other applications and may not always solve the problem.

5. Are there any other solutions to this problem?

If adjusting the screen resolution or resizing the window does not work, you can try pressing the "Alt" key and dragging the window with your mouse to move it into view. You can also try closing the application and reopening it to see if the window size adjusts.