Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! can someone differentiate e^(nx)

1. Nov 30, 2003 #1
    can someone differentiate e^(nx) where n is any integer. i think is equal to n*e^(nx).

please show the proof, thanx.
    :smile: :smile: :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2003 #2
    Well the proof is very big, so i just give u an idea as to how to go abt proving:

[tex]d(e^{(nx)})/dx = ne^{nx}[/tex]

now increment y by a small value such that:

[tex] y + \Delta y = e^{(n(x + \Delta x))}[/tex]

Divide the whole term by y such that:

[tex] (\Delta y)/y = [[e^{(n(x + \Delta x))}]/(e^{(nx)})] - 1[/tex] {We are putting [tex]d(e^{nx})/dx = n*e^{nx}[/tex] on the right hand side of the eqtn.}

take the one on the other side to get:

[tex] \Delta y/ y = [e^{(n(x + \Delta x))}- e^{(nx)}]/[e^{(nx)}] [/tex]

now apply the limits [tex]\Delta y \longrightarrow 0[/tex] to bot sides and evaluate the limit to get your answer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  4. Dec 1, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or, assuming you don't actually need to go back to the original definition of the derivative: apply the chain rule.

To differentiate y= enx, let u= nx.

Then y= eu so dy/du= eu

(If you don't know that then you will need to go back to definitions- in particular exactly how you are defining ex.)

du/dx= n, of course, and

dy/dx= (dy/du)(du/dx)= eu(n)= n enx.
  5. Dec 1, 2003 #4
    thanx guys. i think the product rule can also use to differentiate
    e^(nx), since e^(nx)=e^(n)*e^(x). but that will require much more time.
  6. Dec 1, 2003 #5
    this is not correct, the product rule does not apply here.
  7. Dec 1, 2003 #6
    Hmm . .. I don't think that is quite legal since e^n is a constant, the product rule only applies if you have two functions.
    you could alternately take the log of both sides which may look something like:

differentiate with respect to x
    and since y= e^nx

Of course I used the chain rule now on the left hand side, now
  8. Dec 1, 2003 #7
    The product rule applies fine for a constant term, since a constant is a perfectly good function. It does not apply the way he said though; his exponential relation is wrong.

9. Dec 1, 2003 #8
    It's mightily unnecessary as one term will automatically go to zero, and yes I missed his algebraic mistake
  10. Dec 2, 2003 #9
    sorry about that mistake, what i meant was that,the product rule can be use repeatly to differentiate e^(nx).

eg. differentiate e^(3x)

e^(2x) = e^(x)*e^(x)
    [e^(2x)]'=e^(x)*[e^(x)]' + e^(x)*[e^(x)]' = e^(x)*e^(x) + e^(x)*e^(x)
    [e^(2x)]'= 2e^(2x)

e^(3x) = e^(2x)*e^(x)
    [e^(3x)]'=e^(x)*[e^(2x)]' + e^(2x)*[e^(x)]' "sub [e^(2x)]'= 2e^(2x)"
    [e^(3x)]'=e^(x)*(2e^(2x)) + e^(2x)*e^(x)
    [e^(3x)]'=2e^(3x) + e^(3x)
  11. Dec 2, 2003 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, you recognize that enx is NOT enex so that the a single application of the product rule does not work.

Yes, you can use the product rule repeatedly (in a proof by induction) but why?

What's wrong with using the chain rule as I suggested?
  12. Dec 2, 2003 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, this is a more interesting problem that I first thought- there are several different ways of doing it.

The "obvious" way (to me anyway) is to note that the derivative of ex is ex and use the chain rule:
    denx/dx= ex(d(nx)/dx)= nenx.

But we can also write enx= (en)x and use the fact that dax/dx= (ln a) ax:
    d((en)x)/dx= ln(en)(en)x= nenx.

Or do it the other way around: enx= (ex)n) and use the power rule (together with the chain rule and the derivative of ex):
    d((en)x)/dx= n((ex)n-1)(ex)= n(ex)n= nenx
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?