Help College Algebra Factoring

In summary, the conversation is about factoring the expression y^6 + 124y^3 - 125 and various techniques and methods were discussed, such as using a change of variable and using the rule that if r is a root of the equation F(x), then x-r is a factor. The final result of factoring the expression is (y + 5)(y^2 - 5y + 25). The conversation also went off-topic with jokes about pronouncing words and accents.
AshyLarry
Y^6+124Y^3-125

the ^ means to the power of
asks to factor

help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One technique that is often useful in many problems is seeing if you can apply some sort of change of variable that makes a problem easier to solve, and then change back once you've solved the problem.

I tried the u^2=y^6 and u=y^3, but I am still having issues

Remember, If r is a root of the equation F(x), then x-r is a factor.

(y^3 + 125) * (y^3 - 1)

you can factor y^3 +125...anyone know how to do that?

Last edited:
you could use your calculator to take the cube root of -125

y^3 + 125= (y + 5)(y^2 - 5y + 25)

If you want proof:

a^3 + b^3
a^3 + b^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 - 3a^2b - 3ab^2
(a+b)^3 - 3a^2b - 3ab^2
(a+b)^3 - 3ab(a+b)
(a+b)((a+b)^2 - 3ab)
(a+b)(a^2 + b^2 - ab)

Last edited:
when did this become college algerbra?

Tom McCurdy said:
algerbra? :rofl: sorry -I had a teacher back in Alabama who pronounced it that way.

I had a teacher in Boston who talked about "gammers" and "alphers".

Tom McCurdy said:

my thoughts exactly

HallsofIvy said:
I had a teacher in Boston who talked about "gammers" and "alphers".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And then there was Alpher, Bethe, and Gamow.

I don't see what is so funny...

It's about how mathematicians should get at least 1 hour of Greek philology in their studies :wink:

What is the point if they understand the concepts and teach them to their students?

There is no 'point'. No-one is saying you're a worse teacher if you can't say 'alpha' correctly. It's just a thing some people appear to find funny...

I think in many parts of the UK the er and a endings have the same pronunciation anyway. Thus we spell the diminutive of fellow as fella or feller depending on your preference. And Pitta (as inj bread) is the same as pitter (one who pits, as into pit your wits against seomthing). Or summa (summa cum laude) and summer. I would suggest that this holds true in the Boston area too. I remember being there once and being told by some american friends that I would enjoy the accent when some bloke shouted out at soem traffic lights, "use your blinker pal" (indicator) and them taking great delight in repeating it as "blink-AH"

We appear to have completely lost any mathematical content in this thread!

However, when I was in college, a delivery area behind the cafeteria had been clearly lettered "No Pahking"!

...and this was in Boston?

Cambridge, Mass. actually.

And I hearby swear to act like a "mentor" and not contribute anymore nonsense to this thread!

Tom McCurdy said:

I do believe it is now College Algebra. They work their way up from linear functions, to quadratics, to cubics, and all while doing them on the calculator. However, why they're at cubics now, I'm not sure. They should probably still be on linear or starting on quadratic.

1. What is factoring in college algebra?

Factoring in college algebra is a process of breaking down a polynomial expression into its simpler terms. This is done by finding the greatest common factor and using it to rewrite the expression in a factored form. Factoring is an important skill in algebra as it helps in solving equations, simplifying expressions, and finding the x-intercepts of a graph.

2. Why is factoring important in college algebra?

Factoring is important in college algebra because it helps in simplifying complex expressions, solving equations, and understanding the behavior of polynomial functions. It is also a fundamental skill that is needed in higher-level math courses such as calculus and differential equations.

3. What are the different methods of factoring?

There are various methods of factoring, including the greatest common factor (GCF) method, difference of squares method, grouping method, and quadratic formula method. Each method is used depending on the type of polynomial expression and its degree.

4. How do I know when to use a particular factoring method?

The method used for factoring depends on the type of polynomial expression. For example, if the expression has a common factor, the GCF method should be used. If the expression is in the form of a^2 - b^2, then the difference of squares method is applicable. It is important to first identify the type of expression before choosing a factoring method.

5. Can factoring be used to solve equations?

Yes, factoring can be used to solve equations. When factoring, the goal is to rewrite the expression as a product of simpler terms. This can help in solving equations by setting each term equal to zero and then solving for the variable. However, not all equations can be solved by factoring, and other methods such as the quadratic formula may be needed.