Help computing Christoffel coefficient

In summary, the person is having trouble understanding a problem in general relativity and asks for help. They describe the problem and provide a summary of the solution. They explain that they need help understanding where something comes from and ask for help with indexing and summing over different orders. They describe a problem with their answer and ask for help understanding why the sign of the derivative is different than expected.
S.P.P
Not so much a homework problem, more needing help understanding where something comes from. I've attached a jpg file with what I need help on.

I've done a general relativity course at uni but can't seem to work out what should be a very simple problem.

Attachments

• gr.JPG
    gr.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get this,

[tex]\Gamma^i_{0j} = \frac{1}{2}g^{i\nu}\partial_0(g_{\nu j}) [/tex] with [tex]\nu[/tex] running over 1,2,3.

Differentiating
[tex]\Gamma^i_{0j} = \frac{1}{2}g^{i\nu}(2aa'\eta_{\nu j} + 2aa'h_{\nu j} + a^2\partial_0 h_{\nu j})[/tex]

which gives
[tex]\Gamma^i_{0j} = (\eta^{i\nu}-h^{i\nu})(\frac{a'}{a}\eta_{\nu j} + \frac{a'}{a}h_{\nu j} + \frac{1}{2}\partial_0 h_{\nu j})[/tex]

and so
[tex]\Gamma^i_{0j} = \frac{a'}{a}g^{i\nu}g_{\nu j} + \frac{1}{2}g^{i\nu}\partial_0 h_{\nu j})[/tex]

summing we get,
[tex]\Gamma^i_{0j} = \frac{a'}{a}\delta^i_j + \frac{1}{2}h'^i_j[/tex]

Which is not quite the right answer !

Last edited:
That's a bit closer than I can get. Does [tex] \delta^i_j = \delta_{ij}[/tex]?

[tex] \delta^i_j = g^{ik}\delta_{kj}[/tex]

which requires a summation. I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you know how to raise and lower indexes ? I notice in your equ 5 you've lost the dummy index.

I'm starting to think that the answer I've been given has a typo, and should read [tex] \delta^i_j [/tex] instead of [tex] \delta_{ij} [/tex].

I've lost the dummy indices as I've summed over [tex] v [/tex]. When [tex] v=0 [/tex] everything equalled zero, so the next index was j (where j = 1,2,3). Is this not the way to proceed?

Also, I understand that [tex] g_{iv}g^{vj}=\delta^i_j [/tex], but [tex] (\eta_{iv}+h_{iv})*(\eta^{vj}-h^{vj})=0 [/tex]?

Last edited:
Aha - yes, I made an error, so my answer should have [tex] \delta_{ij}[/tex].
Don't know why I wrote a mixed index there. That still leaves the sign and the prime on h.

there should be a prime on h, that was a typo on my part.

Well, if you can track down the why the sign disagrees, it's mission accomplished.

I'm busy right now but I'll check it a little later.

There's another typo in your doc. The expression you quote as the answer is wrong. The first delta must have one upper and one lower index like the other terms.

So I stand my earlier result because

[tex] g^{ik}g_{kj} = g_j^i = \delta_j^i[/tex]

I haven't tracked down the sign yet.

aha! got it.

[tex]\Gamma^i_{0j} = \frac{a'}{a}\delta^{ij}+\frac{1}{2}g^{i\nu}\partial_0(h_{\nu j}) [/tex].

If I expand the last term out,

[tex] \frac{1}{2}(\eta^{i\nu}-h^{i\nu})\partial_0(h_{\nu j}) [/tex].

Ignore higher order terms (ie h^2), using the metric signiture (+,-,-,-) coupled with the fact that only the spatial part is non zero, then,

[tex] \eta^{i\nu} = \eta^{ij}=-\delta^{ij} [/tex]

Thanks for the help :smile:

Last edited:
I'm glad you're content. I don't follow your last step, but I suppose it's time to move on ...

What is a Christoffel coefficient?

A Christoffel coefficient is a mathematical quantity used in the study of curvature and torsion of a given manifold. It is used to define the relationship between the coordinates and the geometry of the manifold.

Why is computing Christoffel coefficients important?

Computing Christoffel coefficients is important as it helps us understand the curvature and torsion of a given manifold. This information is crucial in many fields of science, including physics and engineering, as it helps in understanding the behavior of objects in curved spaces.

What is the formula for computing Christoffel coefficients?

The formula for computing Christoffel coefficients is Γijk = 1/2 * gim * (∂gmk/∂xj + ∂gmj/∂xk - ∂gjk/∂xm) where gij is the metric tensor and ∂gij/∂xk are the partial derivatives of the metric tensor with respect to the coordinates.

How are Christoffel coefficients used in general relativity?

In general relativity, Christoffel coefficients are used to calculate the geodesic equations, which describe the path of a particle moving under the influence of gravity. They are also used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which is essential in understanding the behavior of objects in the presence of massive bodies.

Is there any software or tool available for computing Christoffel coefficients?

Yes, there are several software and tools available for computing Christoffel coefficients, such as Mathematica, Maple, and SageMath. These tools use numerical or symbolic methods to calculate the Christoffel coefficients for a given manifold and set of coordinates.