1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Design 4 to 16 decoder with given components

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    I have been given the following components to design a 4 to 16 decoder:

I. One 3 to 8 decoder (with enable)
    II. Two 2 to 4 decoder (with enable)
    III. Two NOT gates
    IV. Two AND gates

I just don't understand where the AND, NOT, and enables go into. I have attached two files One with the 3 to 8 decoder, Two 2 to 4 decoder w/o the NOT gates and AND gates.

Another one of me showing how i connected TWO 2 to 4 decoders to design a 3 to 8 decoder

Can anyone help me?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2
    The idea is exactly the same as the 3-8 from two 2-4 case. Do you understand what you did, why you did it, and why it works?

Start by drawing a simplified truth table for a 4-16 decoder (forget about enable)

S3 S2 S1 S0 | "ON" Output
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    0 0 0 0 | F0
    0 0 0 1 | F1
    0 1 0 0 | F4
    0 1 0 1 | F5
    1 0 0 0 | F8
    1 1 1 1 | F15

You know that your 4-16 decoder has 16 output lines, only one line may be high for any given input scenario, and you have 3 smaller blocks to build it from. Think about partitioning off the truth table according to responsibility of each of your components.

So, your truth table has 16 possibilities - your 3-8 decoder covers 8 of those, your 2-4 decoders cover 4 each. Find the logic required to ENABLE the 3-8 decoder when it's his turn. e.g. determine which of your inputs, or their combination, allow you to drive EN high for 8 lines of your truth table above. Also remember, 3-8 decoder has 3 address lines, not 4... (what does this mean for the address lines of your 3-8 and 2-4 decoders?)

Similarly, find what logic of your inputs will enable the 2-4 decoders for ONLY the outputs you assign to them. I see two, simple solutions for the given constraints. The truth table above should really give away the answer...

- Brian

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook