Help Doing an Epsilon Delta Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity of a function f(x,y) with different values of a. The speaker suggests using an epsilon-delta proof to prove the continuity at (0,0). However, the other person suggests using polar coordinates and taking the limit as r approaches 0. The speaker also mentions that there are an infinite number of values for a that will make the function continuous at (0,0).
hungryhippo

Homework Statement

given a function defined by

f(x,y) {= |xy|^a /(x^2+y^2-xy), if (x,y) cannot be (0,0)

and = 0, if (x,y) = (0,0)

Find all values of the real number a such that f is continuous everywhere

e= epsilon
d= delta

In order to prove this, I know I need to do an epsilon delta proof for a limit. I know that,

|(x1,x2)-(y1,y2)| < d
|x1-y1, x2-y2| < d
sqrt ( (x1-y1)^2+(x2-y2)^2 ) < d

since we know, that for one (x,y) = (0,0) the above is just
sqrt(x^2+y^2) < d

also, assuming e<0

we have
|f(x,y)-f(xo,yo)|< e

saying that f(xo,yo) corresponds to when xo = 0 and yo =0, we have
|f(x,y)|< e
||xy|^a /(x^2+y^2-xy)| < e

From here on, I don't know which path to take...I don't have any background on delta epsilon and this is my first time seeing it. So i'd really appreaciate your help :eek:

Thanks in advance :) :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
As it stands right now, there's no a that satisfies this, since f will always be discontinuous at the point (x,y) which satisfies x^2+y^2=xy no matter what a you choose.

Are you required to use "epsilon-delta"? I would recommend changing to polar coordinates, then taking the limit as r goes to 0. The advantage of polar coordinates here is that the distance from (0,0) depends only on r, not [itex]\theta[/itex]. The function will be continuous at (0,0) if and only if the limit, as r goes to 0, does not depend on [itex]\theta[/itex].

foxjwill's statement is incorrect. The fact that the denominator goes to 0 does NOT show that the limit does not exist, as, for example, the limit of f(x,y)= (x^2+ y^2- xy)/(x^2+ y^2- xy) as (x, y) goes to 0. There are, in fact, an infinite number of values for a that will make this function continuous at (0, 0).

1. What is an Epsilon Delta Proof?

An Epsilon Delta Proof is a rigorous mathematical method used to prove the continuity of a function at a particular point. It involves using the concepts of limits, epsilon, and delta to show that for any input within a given distance from the point, the output of the function will also be within a certain distance from the desired value.

2. Why is an Epsilon Delta Proof important?

Epsilon Delta Proofs are important because they provide a formal and rigorous way to prove the continuity of a function. This is essential in mathematics and science, as it allows us to confidently make predictions and draw conclusions based on the behavior of a function at a particular point.

3. How do I know when to use an Epsilon Delta Proof?

Epsilon Delta Proofs are typically used when trying to prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. They are commonly used in calculus and analysis courses, as well as in many areas of physics and engineering.

4. What are the steps for doing an Epsilon Delta Proof?

The general steps for an Epsilon Delta Proof are as follows: 1. Start by stating the definition of continuity at the point in question. 2. Choose an arbitrary value for epsilon (the desired distance from the desired output). 3. Use the definition of the limit to find a corresponding delta (the distance from the point) that ensures the output of the function is within epsilon of the desired value. 4. Write a clear and logical proof using mathematical notation to show that for any input within delta of the point, the output of the function is within epsilon of the desired value.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when doing an Epsilon Delta Proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when doing an Epsilon Delta Proof include: - Assuming that the given function is continuous without first proving it. - Not choosing an arbitrary value for epsilon. - Not using the definition of the limit to find a corresponding delta. - Not writing a clear and logical proof that clearly shows the relationship between epsilon and delta. It is important to carefully follow the steps and pay attention to detail when doing an Epsilon Delta Proof to avoid these common mistakes.