Help Enter the Engineering Field

In summary: That is excellent advice. I reside in Baton Rouge and my GPA was mediocre, so I should find more creative ways to network. Strangely enough, my wife and both of her parents are engineers (mechanical). They have sent me a few email forwards and suggested some companies to apply to but no luck yet. I'm wondering if there are any training programs in the area or online that would make me a more attractive candidate.There are online programs that can help you improve your skills. I would recommend looking into electrical engineering programs at universities in Louisiana.
cde010
I got a BS in Electrical Engineering back in 2007. I've held a bunch of cools jobs since then but nothing in the Engineering field. Now, I'm ready to hop in but I have ZERO experience. What can I do??

Physics news on Phys.org
Tough call. Are you geographically constrained, or can you do a national search?

Dr. Courtney said:
Tough call. Are you geographically constrained, or can you do a national search?

Thanks for the reply! I've focused locally in south Louisiana mostly. There seems to be some employment opportunity here but everything I've found requires experience.

As it happens, I spend a lot of time in South Louisiana. Petroleum engineering and mechanical with rotating equipment experience are the biggest demands. Most of the want ads specify that the EE jobs want experience, but in the supply and demand of engineers in S Louisiana, a lot of degreed engineers get hired without much experience. I'd start sending out boatloads of resumes.

If your GPA was mediocre, you will need to likely improve your networking skills to land a job. That's easier in small communities like Lake Charles and Lafourche Parish than in bigger communities like Laffy and metro NO.

Dr. Courtney said:
As it happens, I spend a lot of time in South Louisiana. Petroleum engineering and mechanical with rotating equipment experience are the biggest demands. Most of the want ads specify that the EE jobs want experience, but in the supply and demand of engineers in S Louisiana, a lot of degreed engineers get hired without much experience. I'd start sending out boatloads of resumes.

If your GPA was mediocre, you will need to likely improve your networking skills to land a job. That's easier in small communities like Lake Charles and Lafourche Parish than in bigger communities like Laffy and metro NO.

That is excellent advice. I reside in Baton Rouge and my GPA was mediocre, so I should find more creative ways to network. Strangely enough, my wife and both of her parents are engineers (mechanical). They have sent me a few email forwards and suggested some companies to apply to but no luck yet. I'm wondering if there are any training programs in the area or online that would make me a more attractive candidate. Thanks again!

1. What is the engineering field?

The engineering field involves the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. It encompasses a wide range of disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering.

2. What are the requirements to enter the engineering field?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the type of engineering, but generally, a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field is required. Additionally, engineers need strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, as well as proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software.

3. What types of jobs are available in the engineering field?

The engineering field offers a diverse range of job opportunities, including roles in research and development, design and analysis, project management, and consulting. There are also opportunities to work in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and healthcare.

4. How can I gain experience in the engineering field?

One way to gain experience in the engineering field is through internships or co-op programs while in college. These opportunities provide hands-on experience and can also lead to full-time job offers. Another way is to participate in engineering projects or clubs, where you can apply your knowledge and skills to real-world problems.

5. What are some challenges in the engineering field?

The engineering field can be challenging due to the complex and constantly evolving nature of projects. Engineers often face tight deadlines, budget constraints, and unexpected problems that require creative solutions. Additionally, communication and collaboration with team members and clients can also be challenging but essential for success in the field.