Help explain different types of Grad Physics programs

In summary, the speaker is a recent graduate with a BS in Economics and Physics who wants to pursue a PhD in physics but is having trouble deciding on a specific area of study. They ask for a breakdown of different areas of physics and recommendations for good schools. The speaker mentions their experience in thin film thermal conduction and their current job in low temperature superconductors and cryogenics. They also mention their interest in E and M, Quantum, astrophysics, particle collisions, and nanotechnology. They express a desire to gain a general understanding of different areas of physics for both academic and career purposes.
mr_bic
I have a BS in Economics and Physics, I've been out of school for a year now and I really want to get a PhD in physics but I'm having trouble narrowing it down to a particular area (i.e. particle, material, astro, experimental, theoretical, etc. ), which in turn is slowing me down in my search for what schools I want to apply to. Please explain to me the specifics of what each is and any good schools to go with it. Thanks alot, I appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a pretty broad question. You might get a little more help if you narrow it down a little. Some things to help you decide:
- What kind of projects did you work on in you senior year? Did you like them?
- What were your favourite classes?
- What do you read about in your spare time?
- What were the most interesting colloquia/confernces you attended?

Senior year I did a project in thin film thermal conduction. It was alright.

Currently, I'm working at a University doing low temperature superconducters and cryogenics and some ultra high vacuum stuff. But I will only be employed here through spring semester, I'm not a student or anything I just got the job cause the professor is a family friend and he could use an extra guy to order parts and haul stuff around. Favorite classes got to be E and M and Quantum. Like to read anything I can understand or wrap my mind around; mostly astrophysics and particle collisions. I saw this guy Ken Rogers from U of I talk about cpu chip nanotechnology, that was pretty cool.

Yea, I know it's pretty general, but my problem is I can find interest in a lot of things. I just want to get a general knowledge of what these areas in graduate physics are.. both for schooling and careers.

1. What are the different types of graduate physics programs available?

The most common types of graduate physics programs are Master of Science (MS) in Physics, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Physics, and Master of Applied Physics (MAP).

2. What is the difference between a Master of Science (MS) in Physics and a Master of Applied Physics (MAP)?

While both programs provide advanced knowledge in physics, a MS in Physics is more research-oriented and prepares students for a career in academia or research, whereas a MAP focuses on the practical application of physics in a specific industry or field.

3. Are there any specialized areas of study within graduate physics programs?

Yes, there are many specialized areas of study within graduate physics programs, such as astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and particle physics. Students can choose to focus on a specific area based on their interests and career goals.

4. Can I pursue a graduate physics degree without a background in physics?

It is possible to pursue a graduate physics degree without a background in physics, but it may require taking prerequisite courses to catch up on fundamental concepts. Many graduate programs also offer bridge courses for students with non-physics backgrounds to prepare them for the rigorous coursework.

5. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a graduate physics degree?

Graduates with a graduate physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as research and development, aerospace, defense, energy, healthcare, and technology. They can also pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers.