How can I factorize this function into A(a) and X(x)?

• Thread starter picard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation was about trying to factorize a given equation into two separate functions, A(a) and X(x), in order to find an analytical solution. The person asking the question had already tried various methods, but the expert replied that it is not possible to factorize the equation in this way. The expert also provided a proof to support their answer.
picard
Hi,
I need some help factorizing the following:

[tex]\frac{g(x)-g(a)}{u(a)^2}=K(x,a)[/tex]

into [tex]A(a) X(x)[/tex]

ie I want to find [tex]A(a), X(x)[/tex] such that their product is the first equation. The reason I want to do this is because K(x,a) is a kernel and it would help a lot if somehow I could write it as:

[tex]K(x,a)=A(a) X(x)[/tex]

Finally, note that [tex]g'(a)=a/u(a)^2[/tex]

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Off hand, I believe what you want can't be done.

Well, that was my first guess as well, but I thought that someone might have an idea...

Kernel in an integral equation? While that is not separable, you can write it as a sum of separable terms:
[tex]\frac{g(x)}{u(a)^2}- \frac{g(a)}{u(a)^2}[/tex]
and work with each part separately.

Yes, I have tried that. However, then the integral equation is not solvable, while if the kernel can be written with only one term as K(x,a)=A(a) X(x) then there exists an analytical solution...

I assume, then, that you are talking about a Fredholm integral equation:
[tex]y(x)= \inf_a^b K(x,t)y(t)dt+ f(t)[/itex]

Yes, if K(x,t) is "separable", K(x,t)= A(x)B(t), then the solution is easy. The equation becomes
[tex]y(x)= A(x)\int_a^b B(t)y(t)dt+ f(x)[/itex]
and
[tex]\int_a^b B(t)y(t)dt[/tex]
is a number. Let
[tex]X= \int_a^b B(t)y(t)dt[/tex]
and you have y(x)= X A(x)+ f(x) so it is just a matter of solving for X. Multiply both sides of that equation by B(x) and integrate from a to b.
[tex]\int_a^b B(x)y(x)dx= X\int_a^b A(x)B(x)dx+ \int_a^b B(x)F(x)dx[/tex]
The integral on the left is just X again and the other two integrals are of known functions. Let
[tex]K= \int_a^b A(x)B(x)dx[/tex]
and
[tex]F= \int_a^b B(x)f(x)dx[/tex]
and X satisfies the equation X= KX+ F which is easily solvable for X.

Now, suppose K(x,t) is not separable but is the sum of two separable functions: K(x,t)= A1(x)B1(t)+ A2(x)B2(t). we can still take the "x" dependence out of the equations:
[tex]y(x)= A1(x)\int_a^b B1(t)y(t)dt+ A2(x)\int_a^b B2(t)y(t)dt+ f(x)[/tex]
Let
[tex]X1= \int_a^b B1(t)y(t)dt[/tex]
and
[tex]X2= \int_a^b B2(t)y(t)dt[/tex]
Now,
[tex]y(t)= X1A1(x)+ X2A2(x)+ f(x)[/itex]
and we only need to find the numbers X1 and X2.
If we multiply that equation by B1(x) and integrate:
[tex]\int_a^b B1(x)y(x)dx= X1\int_a^b A1(x)B1(x)dx+ X2\int_a^b A2(x)B1(x)dx+ \int_a^b B1(x)f(x)dx[/itex]
Again, the left side is just X1 and the integrals on the right are numbers:
[tex]X1= K_{11}X1+ K_{12}X2+ F1[/tex]
with the obvious notation. Doing the same with B2(x),
[tex]X2= K_{12}X1+ K_{22}X2+ F2[/tex]

That is, we have two linear equations to solve for X1 and X2. (And, in fact, the system is symmetric, guarenteeing real solutions.)

The extension to any kernel which is a finite sum of separable functions should be obvious and, in fact, it can be extended to an infinite sum of such functions, giving an infinite series solution.

@HallsofIvy: Thanks for taking the time and effort to write your answer! I really appreciate it. However, you assumed erroneously... My integral equation is a Voltera of the second kind... The thing is that for a seperable kernel with one term (like the one I am looking for) the solution is readily available, see for example:

http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ie/ie0214.pdf

However, if K(x,t) is not separable but is the sum of two separable functions then you have to solve a system of ODEs instead of an algebric (simultaneous) system... In my case the system with the ODEs is quite complicated and that's why I decided to ask if somebody knew of a way to factorize my kernel (so that I could use the analytical solution of the link).

Again, thanks and sorry...

picard said:
Hi,
I need some help factorizing the following:

[tex]\frac{g(x)-g(a)}{u(a)^2}=K(x,a)[/tex]

into [tex]A(a) X(x)[/tex]
(I'm assuming that g is known not to be a constant function)

A(0) X(0) = 0

A(0) X(x) = (g(x) - g(0)) / u(0)^2 which is nonzero

Therefore, A(0) is nonzero, and so X(0) = 0.

0 = A(x) X(0) = (g(0) - g(x)) / u(x)^2

Therefore, g(0) = g(x) for all x, which contradicts the fact g is nonconstant

Therefore, K(x,a) cannot be written as A(a) X(x).

@Hurkyl: Thanks, at least I now know that there is no solution to this problem and I can move on.

Cheers

1. What is a help factorizing function?

A help factorizing function is a mathematical function that simplifies or breaks down a polynomial expression into its factors. It is used to solve equations and express complex expressions in a simpler form.

2. How do I use a help factorizing function?

To use a help factorizing function, you need to input the polynomial expression that you want to factorize. Then, the function will perform the necessary calculations and provide you with the factors of the expression, either in numerical or symbolic form.

3. What are the benefits of using a help factorizing function?

Using a help factorizing function can make solving equations and simplifying expressions much easier and quicker. It also allows you to check your work and verify if your answer is correct.

4. Can a help factorizing function work on any type of expression?

No, a help factorizing function is specifically designed to work on polynomial expressions. It may not be effective on other types of equations or expressions.

5. Are there any tips for using a help factorizing function effectively?

One tip is to always double-check your input to ensure that it is correct. Also, familiarize yourself with the different types of factorization methods to choose the most appropriate one for a given expression. Practice and repetition can also improve your proficiency in using a help factorizing function.