Help finding eigenvectors to simple 2x2 matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a fundamental set of real solutions for a system with given coefficients. The speaker calculates the eigenvalues and attempts to find the eigenvectors, but is stuck at determining the next step. Another person points out that the two formulas have the same ratio and suggests multiplying the second equation by i.
NCyellow

Homework Statement

Find a fundamental set of real solutions of the system.
x'=[-0.5 1 ]x
[-1 -0.5]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the eigenvalues to be r1 = -0.5+i and r2 = -0.5-i
Then, attempting to calculate the eigenvectors,
I plugged the numbers into the system
[-0.5+0.5-i 1][v1] = [0]
[-1 -0.5+0.5-i ][v2] [0]
which simplifies to be
[-i 1] [v1] = [0]
[-1 -i ][v2] [0]
afer matrix multiplication, I get two formulas
-1(v1)i+(v2)=0
-1(v1)-(v2)i=0
However, I am at a loss for the next step. Usually when I am finding the eigenvector those two equations will have the same ratio. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your two formulas do have the same ratio:wink:...Just multiply the second equation by [itex]i[/itex].

thanks guy! I can't believe i didn't see that!

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the direction of the vector remains the same after the matrix transformation.

Why are eigenvectors important?

Eigenvectors are important because they help us understand how a matrix transforms a vector. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

How do I find eigenvectors for a simple 2x2 matrix?

To find eigenvectors for a 2x2 matrix, you will need to solve a system of equations. First, find the eigenvalues by solving the characteristic equation. Then, substitute each eigenvalue into the equation (A-λI)x=0 to find the corresponding eigenvector.

What if I can't find eigenvectors for a 2x2 matrix?

If you are unable to find eigenvectors for a 2x2 matrix, it may be because the matrix is not diagonalizable. In this case, you can still find a basis for the eigenspace by using the generalized eigenvectors method.

Can I use a calculator to find eigenvectors for a 2x2 matrix?

Yes, some calculators have the capability to find eigenvectors for a 2x2 matrix. However, it is important to understand the mathematical process behind finding eigenvectors in order to verify the accuracy of the calculator's results.