Limit of sin(x)cos(x)/x as x approaches 0?

• Thread starter jog511
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit as x approaches 0 of sin(x)cos(x)/x can be simplified to the limit as u approaches 0 of sin(u)/u, which equals 1. This is because of the identity sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) and by substituting u=2x and taking the limit as u goes to 0.
jog511

Homework Statement

lim x->0 sinxcosx/x

Homework Equations

lim x->0 sinx/x = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty sure I need to use above property but I believe cosx/x is undef.

Physics news on Phys.org
jog511 said:

Homework Statement

lim x->0 sinxcosx/x

Homework Equations

lim x->0 sinx/x = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty sure I need to use above property but I believe cosx/x is undef.

Recall the identity [itex]\sin(2x) = 2\sin x \cos x[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Or write it as$$
\frac {\sin x} x \cdot \cos x$$

Likes 1 person
limx->o sinx/x * limx->0 cosx = 1*1 =1

Correct.

That's the simplest way to do it but using pasmith's suggestion, since sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x), sin(x)cos(x)= sin(2x)/x so that sin(x)cos(x)/x= sin(2x)/2x. Now let u= 2x. As x goes to 0, so does u= 2x and we have
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)cos(x)}{x}= \lim_{u\to 0}\frac{sin(u)}{u}= 1[/tex].

Likes 1 person

1. What is the limit of sinxcosx/x as x approaches 0?

The limit of sinxcosx/x as x approaches 0 is equal to 1. This can be solved using the squeeze theorem or by simplifying the expression using trigonometric identities.

2. How do I evaluate the limit of sinxcosx/x?

To evaluate the limit of sinxcosx/x, you can use L'Hopital's rule or trigonometric identities such as the double angle formula for cosine. You can also graph the function to better understand its behavior.

3. Can I use the limit of sinxcosx/x to find the derivative of sinx?

Yes, you can use the limit of sinxcosx/x to find the derivative of sinx. By taking the limit as x approaches 0, you will get the derivative of sinx, which is cosx.

4. What is the difference between the limit of sinxcosx/x and the limit of sinx/x?

The limit of sinxcosx/x is equal to 1, while the limit of sinx/x does not have a value as it approaches infinity. This is because as x gets larger, the value of sinx oscillates between -1 and 1, resulting in an undefined limit.

5. Can I use the limit of sinxcosx/x to solve other trigonometric limits?

Yes, you can use the limit of sinxcosx/x to solve other trigonometric limits. This is because it is a fundamental limit that can be used to derive other limits, such as the limit of tanx/x. Additionally, it can be used in conjunction with other trigonometric identities to solve more complex limits.