Help finding the eigenvalues of this

• Thread starter subopolois
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the eigenvalues of a 3x3 square matrix and the methods used to calculate the determinant. The speaker was struggling with finding the correct method but eventually realized that expanding the determinant along the row/column with the most zeros was the easiest approach. They also discussed the other method of evaluating determinants by multiplying the entries along the diagonals, but acknowledged that it can be more difficult to factor a third degree polynomial.
subopolois

Homework Statement

alright, so i have a question which asks me to find the eigenvalues of a 3x3 square matrix A. after working on it for a long time, i can't figure it out, i know the process of it and i can do 2x2 matrices easily, i cannot figure this one out though. here is the matrix A;
2 0 0
1 2 -1
1 3 -2

Homework Equations

(Ix-A)

The Attempt at a Solution

ive gotten this so far, using the above equation
x-2 0 0
-1 x-2 1
-1 -3 x+2
i know i have to take the determinant of the above, and I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong with getting the determinant, but i can't figure it out.
((x^3-2x^2-4x+8)+0+0)) - (0+(-3x+6)+0))
= (x^3-2x^2-4x+8)-(-3x+6)
= x^3-2x^2-7x+2

from this i know i have to find the roots, which will give me my eigenvalues. can someone help me, mabey point out my mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what method you are using to calculate the determinant; but whatever you're doing, you're doing it incorrectly.

Since there are two zeros in the top row of your matrix, the easiest way to take the determinant is to expand it along the top row:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}x-2 & 0 & 0 \\ -1 & x-2 & 1 \\ -1 & -3 & x+2 \end{vmatrix}=(x-2)\begin{vmatrix} x-2 & 1 \\ -3 & x+2 \end{vmatrix}+(0)\begin{vmatrix} -1 & 1 \\ -1 & x+2 \end{vmatrix}+(0)\begin{vmatrix}-1 & x-2 \\ -1 & -3 \end{vmatrix}[/tex]

subopolois said:

The Attempt at a Solution

ive gotten this so far, using the above equation
x-2 0 0
-1 x-2 1
-1 -3 x+2
i know i have to take the determinant of the above, and I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong with getting the determinant, but i can't figure it out.
((x^3-2x^2-4x+8)+0+0)) - (0+(-3x+6)+0))
= (x^3-2x^2-4x+8)-(-3x+6)
= x^3-2x^2-7x+2
You can evaluate the det by co-factor expansion along the first row. Doing so has the advantage of factoring out one eigenvalue so you only have to factorise the expression inside the co-factor determinant. So if you do so, you should have [tex](x-2)[(x-2)(x+2) + 3][/tex]. From there you can easily find the eigenvalues.

gabbagabbahey said:
I'm not sure what method you are using to calculate the determinant; but whatever you're doing, you're doing it incorrectly.

Since there are two zeros in the top row of your matrix, the easiest way to take the determinant is to expand it along the top row:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}x-2 & 0 & 0 \\ -1 & x-2 & 1 \\ -1 & -3 & x+2 \end{vmatrix}=(x-2)\begin{vmatrix} x-2 & 1 \\ -3 & x+2 \end{vmatrix}+(0)\begin{vmatrix} -1 & 1 \\ -1 & x+2 \end{vmatrix}+(0)\begin{vmatrix}-1 & x-2 \\ -1 & -3 \end{vmatrix}[/tex]

would this be called the cofactor expansion?

Yes, it's det evaluation by co-factor expansion along row/column.

Defennder said:
Yes, it's det evaluation by co-factor expansion along row/column.

should i always choose the row/column with the most zeros? what if the matrix doesn't have any?

Well there would always be a row/column with the most 0's, just that it may not have a row/col with only 1 non-zero entry. If it doesn't have any, add multiples of one row/col to another to create the 0's yourself. Doing so does not change the determinant.

Defennder said:
Well there would always be a row/column with the most 0's, just that it may not have a row/col with only 1 non-zero entry. If it doesn't have any, add multiples of one row/col to another to create the 0's yourself. Doing so does not change the determinant.

alright i have another example where i have to make zeros
x-1 -1 3
-2 x -6
-1 1 x-5
i choose to add row 1 and row 3 to make a zero at row 1, column 2
x-2 0 x-2
-2 x -6
-1 1 x-5
so now i expand the first row, is this correct?

im my class I've learned to find the determinant another way, say i have a matrix
a b c
d e f
g h i
i could find the determinant this way
det= (aei+bfg+cdh)-(gec+hfa+ibd)

why couldn't i just solve the determinat this way instead of the cofactor expansion? how do i know which method to use?

Last edited:
subopolois said:
alright i have another example where i have to make zeros
x-1 -1 3
-2 x -6
-1 1 x-5
i choose to add row 1 and row 3 to make a zero at row 1, column 2
x-2 0 x-2
-2 x -6
-1 1 x-5
so now i expand the first row, is this correct?
Yes it appears so, except to make it even easier you could add a negative of the first column to the third one.

im my class I've learned to find the determinant another way, say i have a matrix
a b c
d e f
g h i
i could find the determinant this way
det= (aei+bfg+cdh)-(gec+hfa+ibd)

why couldn't i just solve the determinat this way instead of the cofactor expansion? how do i know which method to use?
They are both equally valid. Except if you do it this way you have to factor a third degree polynomial which in general isn't easy. On the other hand, evaluating determinants through the above method allows you to factor out one eigenvalue so all you're left with is a quadratic expression which is usually a lot simpler to factorise compared to a cubic one.

Defennder said:
Yes it appears so, except to make it even easier you could add a negative of the first column to the third one.

They are both equally valid. Except if you do it this way you have to factor a third degree polynomial which in general isn't easy. On the other hand, evaluating determinants through the above method allows you to factor out one eigenvalue so all you're left with is a quadratic expression which is usually a lot simpler to factorise compared to a cubic one.

thank you very much, you have no idea how much you have helped me

Related to Help finding the eigenvalues of this

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents how a linear transformation changes a vector. It is a characteristic of the transformation and is used to describe the behavior of the transformation.

2. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation. This involves finding the determinant of the matrix and setting it equal to 0. The solutions to this equation are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

3. What is the importance of eigenvalues in linear algebra?

Eigenvalues are important in linear algebra because they help us understand the behavior of linear transformations and systems of linear equations. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can a matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This occurs when the matrix has complex entries or when the eigenvalues are complex conjugates of each other.

5. How do I find the eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalues?

To find the eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalues, you need to solve the system of linear equations (A - λI)x = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and x is the eigenvector. The solutions to this system are the eigenvectors of the matrix.