1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding Vc(o-)

1. Oct 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find Vc(0)

2. Relevant equations
    Node analysis , ohms law

3. The attempt at a solution
    image.png
    Hi, I'm trying to find Vc(0). I used node analysis but I'm stuck in eq 1. I'll appreciate if someone can give me some suggestions. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you need to replace Vo with something. Go back to your schematic and see if you can express Vo in terms of the other quantities pertaining to the branch it's in.

4. Oct 14, 2016 #3
    Can I replace Vo with V-10/25 ?

5. Oct 14, 2016 #4

gneill

Do you mean (V-10)/25? (Order of operations is important). No, that would be the branch current flowing from v towards the 10 V source. But that's a start. What would be Vo in terms of that current?

6. Oct 14, 2016 #5
    it would be some current i = Vo/20 ?

7. Oct 14, 2016 #6

gneill

That's the idea. But you've already identified the branch current in post #3.

8. Oct 14, 2016 #7
    Can I do i=10/25 = 0.4A then find Vo= (0.4)20 =8V and then just replace it in my equation 2?

9. Oct 14, 2016 #8

gneill

No because the battery voltage is not across the branch. What is an expression for the branch current (you wrote one as a term in your node equation!)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted