How Is the Work Done by Gravity Calculated in This Physics Problem?

In summary, the problem requires finding the work done by gravity on an astronaut being lifted by a helicopter. With the assumption of negligible friction, the work done by gravity can be calculated using the equation Wg = mgh, where m is the mass of the astronaut, g is the acceleration of gravity, and h is the distance traveled. The work will be negative, as the force of gravity is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement of the astronaut. It is important to consider the direction of motion and force when calculating work.
iJamJL

Homework Statement

ASSUME: For all parts of this question, friction is negligible.

A helicopter is used to lift an astronaut of mass m = 69.2 kg a distance s = 11 m vertically out of the ocean by means of a cable. The astronaut rises with constant upward acceleration of magnitude a = 7.44 m/s2 until she reaches the helicopter.

Find Wg, the work done by gravity on the astronaut.

Homework Equations

W=F*distance
F=mg
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come to a couple of conclusions, but I think I'm missing a part or two. Here is what I've done.

Wg=F*distance=mg*s
Wg=69.2*9.81*11

That was wrong.

Then I tried this:

If we make gravity the positive direction, then:

F+mg= (-ma)
F= (-mg-ma) = -m(g+a)
Wg= -m(g+a) * s = 13130.7

That was wrong as well, so I'm trying to figure what I'm doing wrong. I have a feeling the answer is somewhere between these two.

Also, I know someone is going to say to draw this out. I always do, but I guess I just think differently or improperly for some reason. I have it drawn like this:

Helicopter is on top, and a person is hanging onto a cable that is 11m long. The person has a mass of 69.2kg, and the acceleration is in the positive y-direction of 7.44 m/s/s. That means that gravity acts in the negative direction, so I guess you could say W= (-mg)*h, but the numerical answer besides the negative sign is still the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're over complicating things.

W = SFdx, or for a constant force W = Fx

Wgravity = mgh, where m is the mass of the astronaut, g is the acceleration of gravity, and h is the distance traveled. Work will be negative, though, since the force of gravity is acting opposite to the displacement of the astronaut.

The work done by the helicopter would be a bit more complex though...

xlava said:
You're over complicating things.

W = SFdx, or for a constant force W = Fx

Wgravity = mgh, where m is the mass of the astronaut, g is the acceleration of gravity, and h is the distance traveled. Work will be negative, though, since the force of gravity is acting opposite to the displacement of the astronaut.

The work done by the helicopter would be a bit more complex though...

So to find Wgravity, you said it's equal to mgh. Isn't that what I said in my original attempt to solve the problem?

Wg=F*s=mg*s, where s is the distance (in this case, s is the height). I'm not sure if you were pointing out that I did this correctly or not..maybe partially correct?

I was pointing out that you over complicated things. Sorry if I over complicated my response LOL :)

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to say.

The astronaut originally has 0 energy (0 U and 0 K) when in the water right? The helicopter does work on the astronaut, which is countered by the work done by gravity. It doesn't matter how fast, or with what acceleration the astronaut is moved up by, since the acceleration of gravity is constant. Therefore, answering you, yes you are correct, the work done by gravity is just mgh, where h is deltah, or the change in position.

EDIT: Sorry, the problem was actually the negative. I didn't realize that direction mattered that much! I thought if we had switched it around so that we made gravity in the positive direction, then the amount of work is the same numerical answer, and we could ignore the negative. Big mistake on my part!

Last edited:
iJamJL said:
The thing is that this is an online homework question, and when I entered the result of mgh, or 7467, into the system, it gave it to me as wrong (I changed it to 7.467e3, so no worries about significant digits). That's why I'm not sure what I'm doing is wrong. Even if the answer were to be negative, because gravity is acting downward, we could make down our positive, and then it would be the same answer. Am I missing something?

Regardless of your choice of coordinate system, the motion of the object is in the opposite direction to the force being considered.

You didn't change your significant digits, only their format. 7.47e3 would be a change in significant digits.

iJamJL said:
EDIT: Sorry, the problem was actually the negative. I didn't realize that direction mattered that much! I thought if we had switched it around so that we made gravity in the positive direction, then the amount of work is the same numerical answer, and we could ignore the negative. Big mistake on my part!

Uh okay, but as gneill said, the displacement is opposite to the work being done on it, therefore the work is negative. I don't know what your teachers want (maybe the magnitude, but that's kinda silly), but regardless, gravity does negative work on the astronaut in this problem.

gneill said:
Regardless of your choice of coordinate system, the motion of the object is in the opposite direction to the force being considered.

You didn't change your significant digits, only their format. 7.47e3 would be a change in significant digits.

Oops :roll: lol You're right.

xlava said:
Uh okay, but as gneill said, the displacement is opposite to the work being done on it, therefore the work is negative. I don't know what your teachers want (maybe the magnitude, but that's kinda silly), but regardless, gravity does negative work on the astronaut in this problem.

I think it was just a bad assumption on my part rather than my professor's fault. Nevertheless, I thank you both for your time and help. :)

Anytime :) Good luck

Related to How Is the Work Done by Gravity Calculated in This Physics Problem?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted towards each other. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies as well as the falling of objects on Earth.

2. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the concept of gravity. In 1687, he published his famous book "Principia Mathematica" which described the laws of motion and the universal law of gravitation.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This force decreases with distance, which is why we feel the gravitational pull of larger objects like the Earth more than smaller objects like a book.

4. How is gravity measured?

Gravity is measured using a device called a gravimeter. It measures the gravitational acceleration of an object, which is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth due to gravity. The standard unit of measurement for gravity is meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. What are some real-world applications of gravity?

Gravity has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as keeping us grounded on Earth, allowing us to walk and run, and keeping objects in orbit around the Earth. It is also used in various technologies, such as GPS navigation systems and satellite communication.