1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help for introductory books for an economist-philosopher

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    I know there are a lot of book recomendations in this site, but I thought my background
    is sufficiently strange to ask for a special answer.
    I've got my Calculus, basic Real Analysis and linear algebra OK.
    I'm rather weak in geometry though, but I feel ok learning new stuff in maths.
    I have some basic knowledge on Physics, but I've never taken a college course.
    I'm interested in a solid general introduction on basic concepts. I'm interested in general in philosophy of science, so I'd rather have a theoretic oriented book than an applied one.
    I'm looking for, I hope, demanding books, rather than washed-down versions.

Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For an introduction to baisc physics, try The Feynman Lectures on Physics,

For a look at the state-of-the-art physics and the mathematics underlying state-of-the-art physics, try The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose,

You don't have to read Feynman before reading Penrose. Although both Feynman and Penrose are quite demanding, they are also quite rewarding. Read the reviews.
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your reply!
    I've read a bit of the Feynman lectures, and it has certainly been a rewarding effort.
    I haven't seen the book by Penrose, but I'll check it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?