1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help for this improper integral

1. Mar 14, 2014 #1
    Let $$λ \in R$$

$$I=\int_{0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{x+1}{3x^2 + \lambda} - \frac{\lambda}{2x+1}\right)dx $$

I need to find λ for which this would return a number (not infinity) . I tried writing Numerators as derivatives but not sure about the correctness and results.

eg $$\fracλ2\int\frac{d(2x+1)}{2x+1}$$

Any idea how to solve this ?

I dont know how to find the antiderivative of the first fraction.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When ##x## is large,
    $$\frac{x+1}{3x^2 + \lambda} \approx \frac{1}{3x}$$
    and
    $$\frac{\lambda}{2x+1} \approx \frac{\lambda}{2x}$$
    so
    $$\frac{x+1}{3x^2 + \lambda} - \frac{\lambda}{2x+1} \approx \frac{1/3 - \lambda/2}{x}$$
    Can you use these approximations to determine what ##\lambda## must be, given the fact that the "tail" of ##1/x## is too "heavy" to be integrated?

4. Mar 14, 2014 #3
    A hint was to use Laplace for this . I know your solution makes sense but I dont know how it should be written or if there is another way more formal

5. Mar 14, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean Laplace transforms? I'm not sure how they would be useful here, but probably there's some equivalent formulation that uses them.

If you solve for the value of ##\lambda## using the approach I outlined, you can simply replace it back into the original integrand and simplify it. You should be able to easily verify that the result is integrable.

6. Mar 14, 2014 #5
    Hm but is this approach correct ? (how can I proof that this is correct ?And put this simpler version within integral ?)
    Here is how the book does it
    http://i.imgur.com/59IHuKQ.jpg

7. Mar 14, 2014 #6
    Do you know how to perform trigonometric substitution?

8. Mar 14, 2014 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I can't read the Greek, and I'm not sure how they are going to solve for ##\lambda## after the last line in the image. Even if it works, the method seems very complicated compared with the straightforward one I suggested.

As I said, to see that my method is correct, first solve for the value of ##\lambda## that will eliminate the problematic ##1/x##: obviously you want ##1/3 - \lambda / 2 = 0##, so ##\lambda = 2/3##.

Then to see that this value of ##\lambda## works, just plug it into the original integrand and simplify it:

$$
    \frac{x+1}{3x^2 + \lambda} - \frac{\lambda}{2x+1} =
    \frac{x+1}{3x^2 + 2/3} - \frac{2/3}{2x+1}
    $$
    I'll let you do the algebra, but the key is that the ##x## term in the numerator will vanish, leaving you with an integrand which is asymptotically a multiple of ##1/x^2## as ##x \rightarrow \infty## (and bounded as ##x \rightarrow 0##), hence integrable. No other value of ##\lambda## will do this for you.

9. Mar 15, 2014 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted