Object Thrown Upward: Max Momentum & Equilibrium

In summary, an object thrown upwards has zero acceleration at the top of its path and is not at maximum kinetic energy. The other two options of being at equilibrium and having maximum momentum are also not applicable. The only force at play is gravity and the net force is zero at the top of the path, leading to no equilibrium or momentum. The correct answer is (e) none of the above.
garva1
an object is thrown upwards, at the top of the path it has
a) zero acceleration
b) maximum momentum
c) maximum kE
d) is at equillibrium
e)none of the above

i know accelarion is 9.8m/s^2
i also know is not KE since at the top is potential
im confused of the other two

Physics news on Phys.org
garva1 said:
an object is thrown upwards, at the top of the path it has
a) zero acceleration
b) maximum momentum
c) maximum kE
d) is at equillibrium
e)none of the abovei know accelarion is 9.8m/s^2
i also know is not KE since at the top is potential
im confused of the other two

b) what is formula for momentum?
d) what is equilibrium?

those are the ones that i don't know i think momentum is = mv

Ok, so if you know that P = mv, and the object is at the max height of its trajectory, then what would be it's velocity and momentum?

v is zero

ok vo is zero but the final velocity =v + gt but I am confused

yes, v=0 at the top, so what is the momentum at the top?

0 but what about equllibrium

look up the definition of mechanical equilibrium

i don't get the definition is says something about rest but so does the free fall at top have equllibrium but then we only have one force gravity since air is neglected

garva1 said:
i don't get the definition is says something about rest but so does the free fall at top have equllibrium but then we only have one force gravity since air is neglected

OK. Is it at rest at the top?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_equilibrium"

"A rigid body is in mechanical equilibrium when the sum of all forces on all particles of the system is zero, and also the sum of all torques on all particles of the system is zero."

What forces are at play here? Is the net force on the particle zero at the top of its path?

Last edited by a moderator:
there is only gravity

i don't get equllibrium sorry :(

Ok, try and think fundamentally. At the very top, the instantaneous velocity is zero. If the velocity is zero then the net acceleration must also be zero at that very instant. So if F = ma, then the net force must be zero too. If you are still confused, I frankly do not know how else to explain it.

so at the top there is equllibrium even though there is only one force the sum will be concidered zero

"If the velocity is zero then the net acceleration must also be zero at that very instant. So if F = ma,"
but how does velocity applied in the equation f=ma

but i thought that the acceleration was gravity and gravity was throughout the whole path

chislam said:
Ok, try and think fundamentally. At the very top, the instantaneous velocity is zero. If the velocity is zero then the net acceleration must also be zero at that very instant. So if F = ma, then the net force must be zero too. If you are still confused, I frankly do not know how else to explain it.

That's incorrect, the velocity will be zero, but it will still be accelerating downwards; the net force will still just be the force due to gravity, which is nonzero.

garva1 said:
but i thought that the acceleration was gravity and gravity was throughout the whole path

This thought is correct; see above^^^.

but i thought the a was gravity and top gravity still 9.8

so there is no equillibrium nor momentum nor kinetic energy and the acceleration is 9.8

garva1 said:
so there is no equillibrium nor momentum nor kinetic energy and the acceleration is 9.8

Correct, so the answer is (e) none of the above.

yayy THANK YOU VERY MUCH I am really thankfull so no do i just leave the thread open or there is a way to close it
THANK YOU

Just leave the thread, so others may benefit from the discussion.

Thank you

FAQ: Object Thrown Upward: Max Momentum & Equilibrium

1. What is the maximum momentum of an object thrown upward?

The maximum momentum of an object thrown upward is the highest point reached by the object, also known as the apex. At this point, the object's momentum is equal to zero as it changes direction and starts to fall back down due to gravity.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in an object thrown upward?

Equilibrium is achieved in an object thrown upward when the forces acting on the object are balanced. In the case of an object thrown upward, the force of gravity pulling the object down is balanced by the force of the object's initial upward velocity.

3. Can an object maintain its maximum momentum in the air?

No, an object thrown upward cannot maintain its maximum momentum in the air. As the object reaches its apex, its momentum decreases and eventually becomes zero as it falls back down due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the maximum momentum of an object thrown upward?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the maximum momentum of an object thrown upward. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down and reducing its overall momentum.

5. What factors can affect the maximum momentum and equilibrium of an object thrown upward?

The maximum momentum and equilibrium of an object thrown upward can be affected by various factors such as the object's initial velocity, mass, shape, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can impact the object's trajectory and the balance of forces acting on it.

Back