Help: Gordon decompositon of the current

• Thread starter elmerx25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses the interactions of electrons with A^\mu and the magnetic field, as well as the relation between the Dirac current and the Klein-Gordon current. The magnetic moment interaction can be identified by demonstrating the equation given in Exercise 6.2 of "Quarks and Leptons. An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics - F.Halzem,A.Martin". The conversation also mentions the Forum Rules and the appropriate forum for seeking help with homework/coursework/textbook related issues.
elmerx25
Hello:

A spinless electron can interact with [itex]A^\mu[/itex] only via its charge; the coupling is proportional to [itex](p_{f} + p_{i})^{\mu}[/itex]. An electron with spin, on the other hand, can also interact with the magnetic field via its magnetic moment. This coupling involves the factor [itex]i\sigma^{\mu\nu}(p_{f} - p_{i})[/itex]The relation between the Dirac current and the Klein-Gordon current can be studied as
follows: Define the antisymmetric sigma tensor as:

[tex]i\sigma^{\mu\nu} = \frac{i}{2} (\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu} - \gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu})[/tex]

And the Gordon decomposition of the Dirac current can be made:

[tex]\bar u_{f}\gamma^{\mu}u_{i} = \frac{1}{2m} \bar u_{f} [(p_{f} + p_{i})^{\mu} + i\sigma^{\mu\nu} (p_{f} - p_{i})_{\nu} ] u_{i}[/tex]

To identify the magnetic moment interaction [itex] (-{\mu} . B)[/itex] it suffices to show that:

[tex] \int[-\frac{e}{2m} \bar \psi_{f} i\sigma_{\mu\nu} (p_{f} - p_{i})^{\nu}\psi_{i}] A^{\mu} d^{3}x = \int\psi^{f*}_{A}(\frac{e}{2m}{\sigma} . B) \psi^{i}_{A} d^{3}x[/tex]

Can someone please tell me how I can desmostrate this ecuation?
Thanks.

P.S.: Exercise 6.2 of "Quarks and Leptons. An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics - F.Halzem,A.Martin"

Physics news on Phys.org
elmerx25, All three of your posts have been asking for solutions to homework problems. You need to take a look at the Forum Rules. In particular where it says, "If you are seeking help with a homework/coursework/textbook related issue please post your problem in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area."

How can I send this post to the homework/coursework/textbook area?
Thanks.

I moved the thread.

What did you find out so far?

Hello:

I have had a sabbatical year without physics. Now I try to continue with my study.

1. What is the Gordon decomposition of the current?

The Gordon decomposition of the current is a mathematical technique used to break down a current into two components: a systematic component and an idiosyncratic component. The systematic component represents the common trends or patterns in the current, while the idiosyncratic component reflects the unique or individual characteristics of the current.

2. How is the Gordon decomposition of the current calculated?

The Gordon decomposition of the current is calculated using a statistical technique called principal component analysis (PCA). PCA involves extracting the systematic component from the current using a linear combination of its variables, and then calculating the idiosyncratic component by subtracting the systematic component from the original current.

3. What is the purpose of the Gordon decomposition of the current?

The Gordon decomposition of the current is used to better understand the underlying factors driving the current. By separating the systematic and idiosyncratic components, researchers can identify which variables have the most influence on the current and how much of the variation in the current can be explained by these variables.

4. What are some potential applications of the Gordon decomposition of the current?

The Gordon decomposition of the current has various applications in economics and finance. It can be used to analyze the behavior of stock prices, interest rates, and other financial indicators. It can also be applied to macroeconomic variables such as GDP, inflation, and unemployment to understand the underlying trends and patterns.

5. Are there any limitations to the Gordon decomposition of the current?

Like any statistical technique, the Gordon decomposition of the current has its limitations. It assumes a linear relationship between the variables and may not be suitable for non-linear data. It also relies on the quality and accuracy of the data, so any errors or missing values can affect the results. Additionally, the interpretation of the components may be subjective and requires careful consideration of the context and variables involved.