How Do You Calculate Wave Frequency and Timing in Physics Problems?

In summary: A ticker tape timer makes 360 dots in 6.0s. How long does it take to make six dots?"If you take 6.0 seconds to make a 360 dot timer, it will take approximately 18.3 seconds to make 6 dots.
puregoodboi
OK Physics Help Plz

1st question

A person, resting in a boat, notices that 16 waves pass the boat every 38 s.
How many waves wouldf pass the boat in 55 s.

2nd question

If 180 waves wash up ona shore in 1.00 h, what is the time between waves, in seconds?

3rd question
A ticker tape timer makes 360 dots in 6.0s. How long does it take to make six dots?

THanks for the Help guys i appreciate it SO MUCH :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Somebody's going to say this, so I might as well. Please show us your work, what you have so far. The guys on the site don't mind putting you in the right direction or correcting some work you submit, but they won't do your HW for you.

Having said that...hints.

1. What is the rate at which waves pass the boat (i.e. how many waves per second?). Once you know that (and assuming this frequency remains constant), how would you figure out how many total waves pass by in a given time interval?

2. Same concept as before. This time you want period instead of frequency. How are they related?

Last edited:
i figured out that like 16 divided by 38 would equal the frequency and that is 0.42 and that the period is 38/16=2.4s but how do i build up on that

ok for question one for far i put 55 waves x 2.4 s = 132 waves .. hopefully it is correct and do i have to change anything due to significant figures ?

uh oh i did it wrong ...

ok i did it again and this time i put 0.42x55= 25 waves Now am i right?

aw gee its 23.1? i think its too dark in this room +__+

Yes, you are right (23.1). If you can do this, you can surely do Questions 2 and 3. For Q2, note that 1 hour = 3600 s. For Q3, remember that the time taken to make 6 dots will be less.

I think we made some progress by PM. Let me know if there's anything else.

puregoodboi said:
i figured out that like 16 divided by 38 would equal the frequency and that is 0.42 and that the period is 38/16=2.4s but how do i build up on that

Try keeping track of the units: 16 waves in 38 seconds is 16/38= 0.42 "waves per second". Okay, now how do find how many waves in 55 seconds?

2nd question: One hour = 60 minutes= 3600 seconds. 180 waves wash up ona shore in 1.00 h= 3600 seconds so you could form either of two fractions:
180 waves/ 3600 seconds or 3600 seconds/ 180 waves. The question asks "time between waves, in seconds?" so which do you think is right?

3rd question
"A ticker tape timer makes 360 dots in 6.0s. How long does it take to make six dots?"
Okay, that's 6.0/360 "seconds per dot". How many seconds for 6 dots?

1. How can I help a Grade 10 student struggling in Physics 11?

One way to help a Grade 10 student struggling in Physics 11 is to review the fundamentals and concepts they may have missed in their Grade 10 physics class. This will help them build a stronger foundation for understanding the more complex topics in Physics 11.

2. What are some common problem areas for students in Physics 11?

Some common problem areas for students in Physics 11 include understanding the equations and their applications, visualizing and interpreting graphs, and grasping the concept of vectors and forces.

3. How can I make learning Physics 11 more engaging for a Grade 10 student?

One way to make learning Physics 11 more engaging for a Grade 10 student is to relate the concepts to real-life examples and applications. This will help them see the relevance and practicality of what they are learning.

4. What are some effective study strategies for Physics 11?

Some effective study strategies for Physics 11 include regularly practicing problem-solving, creating study notes and flashcards, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and actively participating in class discussions and activities.

5. How can I motivate a Grade 10 student to excel in Physics 11?

One way to motivate a Grade 10 student to excel in Physics 11 is to show them the potential career opportunities and real-world applications of physics. Additionally, providing positive reinforcement and celebrating small successes can also be effective in boosting their motivation.