Understanding the Gravitational Equation: Solving for Time and Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the time taken to travel from one place to another using the equation F = ma and the inverse square law. The conversation also touches on using a substitution and integrating to find the answer, with one member providing an example of the answer.
maria vega

Homework Statement

m----m t = (a, g, m) f = [tex]\infty [/tex]
t = ??

IMG00021-20110323-1227.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int dx/dt
dx = \sqrt{}2gm(1/a-1/x)[/tex]

IMG00020-20110323-1216.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So what you have is if the force is inversly proprotional to the square of the distance, what is te time taken to travel from one place to another?
Right, you have:

[tex]
F=-\frac{k}{x^{2}}
[/tex]

So you get in the differential equation:

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{k}{x^{2}}
[/tex]

However write:

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dv}{dx}=v\frac{dv}{dx}
[/tex]

Now the following differential equation should be:

[tex]
v\frac{dv}{dx}=-\frac{k}{x^{2}}
[/tex]

Now integrate this to get v as a function of x and then write v=dx/dt and integrate to find t as a function of x.

what? I really did not understand am sorry:S can you expand what you tried to say!

You're using the equation F=ma, you are told that [tex]F\propto x^{-2}[/tex], so that means that the is a k such that [tex]F=-kx^{-2}[/tex], so we insert this into F=ma, to see:

[tex]
ma=-\frac{k}{x^{2}}
[/tex]

There are a number of ways we can write the acceleration.

[tex]
a=\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=\frac{dv}{dt}
[/tex]

The one that you will want to use is:

[tex]
a=v\frac{dv}{dx}
[/tex]

So you are left with the differential equation:

[tex]
mv\frac{dv}{dx}=-\frac{k}{x^{2}}
[/tex]

Integrate this w.r.t. x to obtain:

[tex]
m\int v\frac{dv}{dx}dx=-k\int\frac{dx}{x^{2}}\Rightarrow\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}=\frac{k}{x}+C
[/tex]

I believe you had some boundary condition which could be used to calculate C (I didn't understand them), then you write:

[tex]
\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^{2}=\frac{k}{x}+C
[/tex]

then you rearrange to obtain:

[tex]
\frac{dx}{dt}=f(x)
[/tex]

Wnere you find out what f(x) is and then you integrate. Simple.

thank you very much, it was very useful

So what's your answer?

IMG00022-20110323-2000.jpg

I still need to solve this to get my answer

So you have to solve:

[tex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2GM}}\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{x}}}
[/tex]

I might try a substitution of [tex]x=a\sec^{2}u[/tex] and see what to do from there.

Last edited:
Yes, this is a standard integral. We have had this problem I think more than once before, e.g. here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2622778&postcount=1

from someone who didn't come back before the end. He said he was in Haiti around the time of the earthquake so I wonder... He mentioned weird results, but he was doing it as math, but as you are coming to it from physics you will understand then.

I think that if I did the substitution correctly I got the answer to t,

t= ((2sqrt(1/a-1/x)/ (sqrt(2GM)) + c

when t= 0, x=a

c= 0

t= (2sqrt(1/a-1/x))/ (sqrt(2GM)

Last edited:
maria vega said:
I think that if I did the substitution correctly I got the answer to t,

t= ((2sqrt(1/a-1/x)/ (sqrt(2GM)) + c

when t= 0, x=a

c= 0

t= (2sqrt(1/a-1/x))/ (sqrt(2GM)

Don't think so. Something like that thing on the right ((2sqrt(1/a-1/x)/ (sqrt(2GM)) is dt/dx - you still have to integrate it. You noticed that hunt_mat forgot the square root though. :approve:

FAQ: Understanding the Gravitational Equation: Solving for Time and Distance

1. What is the gravitational equation and how is it used?

The gravitational equation, also known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, is a mathematical expression that describes the force of gravity between two objects. It states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This equation is used to calculate the gravitational force between any two objects in the universe.

2. Who discovered the gravitational equation?

The gravitational equation was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687. He proposed this law of gravitation in his famous work, "Principia Mathematica". It revolutionized our understanding of gravity and laid the foundation for modern physics.

3. How does the gravitational equation differ from Einstein's theory of general relativity?

The gravitational equation and Einstein's theory of general relativity both describe the force of gravity, but they use different approaches. Newton's equation is based on classical mechanics and works well for most everyday situations. On the other hand, Einstein's theory of general relativity takes into account the curvature of space-time and is used to explain gravity in extreme situations, such as near black holes.

4. Can the gravitational equation be used to calculate the force between non-spherical objects?

Yes, the gravitational equation can be used to calculate the force between non-spherical objects. However, the calculation becomes more complex as the objects' shapes and distribution of mass become more irregular. In such cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to calculate the gravitational force.

5. How does the gravitational equation relate to the concept of gravitational potential energy?

The gravitational equation is closely related to the concept of gravitational potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. The equation for gravitational potential energy is derived from the gravitational equation, and they are inversely proportional to each other. As the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational potential energy decreases, and vice versa.