Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Help Plzz Help

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    Help Help Plzz Help!!

hi m a new member here....actually i m in a great confusion....plz solve dis confusion fer me...its related to THERMODYNAMICS...
    my question is..

"Cp=Cv+R" or "Cp-Cv=R"....Whats the name of this Equation or Relation?

I'll be waiting anxiously as well as curiously for the answer...I have been searching all this online and now my eyes are burning red...so I hope u people will help me....My last hope may be cuz i really want answers to these questions....i think they will be easy fer u ppl to answer ...!!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you've obviously not been trying that long, one can find the answers within 10 seconds using Google.

I'm not going to do your work for you.

4. Mar 15, 2008 #3
    i have been trying long...but somewhere they didnt give the equation with the defination and sumwhere there was da equation...i had a doubt abt it but then there wasn't mentioned anything about it...

ok forget about the first two questions...they are not that imp fer me but da LAst quesss plzzzzzzzzz answer that...and search it fer yerself on google too....i m sure u wont get the name fer da equation...atleast i didnt get it :((((

5. Mar 15, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do it yourself,

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Mayer's+Formula

6. Mar 15, 2008 #5
    eeeeeeee!! i hav tried dis out.....in actual i wanted da name of that equation n i came across sum mayer formula n relation...n since i m having a headache i cudnt get on it so ...the defination of mayer's formula z " a formula which states that the difference between Cp n Cv is equal to R divided by the molecualr weight of the gas...

Now first i was thinking ..may be dats da Name of the equation..but then dis divididng da molecular weight thingy ,,,confused me :(((....

7. Mar 15, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Almost, R is called the molar gas constant.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  8. Mar 15, 2008 #7
    but i thought R is da Universal Gas constant???? i mean lyk iznt R da gas constant

9. Mar 15, 2008 #8
    i mean to ask lyk....molar gas constant,gas constant and universal gas constant....all are da names of R??? no difference in these 3?

10. Mar 15, 2008 #9
    seriously tell me

Cp-Cv=r where "r" is the "specific gas constant" and it is equal to "molar gas constant divided by molecular weight of the gas"

and according to the defination of Mayer's formula ...this is the Mayer's formula mathematical form "Cp-Cv=r"

but what i actually need help on is that i wanna know the name of this relation/equation

Cp-Cv=R
    or
    Cp=Cv+R

so please help me

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  11. Mar 15, 2008 #10

GT1

What is the thermodynamic explanation for Cp-Cv=R ?

12. Mar 15, 2008 #11

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My bad, I realised once I'd posted it and edited my post about ten minutes ago. Apologies for the confusion.

13. Mar 15, 2008 #12
    So....can anyone now please tell me that what is the name of this equation or relation "Cp-Cv=R or Cp=Cv+R"

I would really be so very thankful to you people

14. Mar 15, 2008 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Look at the Google search that Hootenanny gave you in post #4 of this thread.

15. Mar 15, 2008 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

... and seriously, please write in English. It doesn't take long to type words out in full, and it saves a lot of annoyance to the reader (i.e. the person you are asking to help you!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?