Help I'm in college and have forgotten everything

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, To solve the indefinite integral int( y^3 * sqrt(2y^4 - 1) ) dy, you can use the substitution method by setting u = 2y^4 - 1 and then using du = 8y^3 dy. This will allow you to simplify the integral to \frac{1}{12}(2y^{4}-1)^\frac{3}{2} + C.
KingNothing
Hi. I am in college and have forgotten everything about how to solve indefinite integrals.

Even very simple problems give me trouble, such as:

int( y^3 * sqrt(2y^4 - 1) ) dy

So how in the world do you find the answer? The Antiderivative? Please go through this step-by-step, I need a good jumpstart to get myself in the right frame of mind again.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have [tex] \int y^{3}\sqrt{2y^{4}-1} dy [/tex]. Let [tex] u = 2y^{4} -1 [/tex], then [tex] du = 8y^{3} dy [/tex]. But there is only a [tex] y^{3} dy [/tex] available so we have to multiply the integral by [tex]\frac{1}{8} [/tex]:

[tex] \frac{1}{8} \int u^{\frac{1}{2}} du = \frac{1}{12}(2y^{4}-1)^\frac{3}{2} + C [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Help I'm in college and have forgotten everything

What are some common reasons for forgetting information in college?

Some common reasons for forgetting information in college include: information overload, lack of sleep, stress, and distractions.

How can I improve my memory in college?

To improve your memory in college, try using mnemonic devices, creating study guides, and practicing active learning techniques such as summarizing and self-testing.

What should I do if I feel overwhelmed with all the information I need to remember?

If you feel overwhelmed with the amount of information you need to remember, try breaking it down into smaller chunks, taking frequent breaks, and seeking help from a tutor or professor.

Is it normal to forget things in college?

Yes, it is normal to forget things in college. With the amount of information and responsibilities that college students have, it is common to experience forgetfulness.

How can I prevent myself from forgetting important information in college?

To prevent forgetting important information in college, try to stay organized, review your notes regularly, and create a study schedule to help you stay on top of your coursework.