How can I vary the strength and direction of an electromagnet circuit?

• Thread starter worntilltorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuitry
In summary, the conversation is about an individual who is a mechanical engineering student and is tasked with building an electromagnet circuit. They are seeking help on how to vary the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Other forum members offer advice and suggestions on how to achieve this, including using a toggle switch and slider resistor, rotating the coil, and using a double pole double throw switch. The conversation also discusses the relationship between voltage, current, and magnetic field strength.
worntilltorn
I'm a mechanical engineering student but I'm tasked to do up a electromagnet circuit..any help willl be greatly appreciated!

I need to be able to vary the strength and direction of the field of the electromagnet. I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing this because i almost never handle circuits in all my years of studying. Pls help!

thanx!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! You'll find some helpful folks on this forum (as long as you show some effort). There are also lots of interesting posts that are quite fascinating reading..

Regarding building your electromagnet. Have you done some research around the net?
Here is one reference I found on quick search..
http://science.howstuffworks.com/electromagnet.htm

Welcome again to PF. I'm no expert by any means, but your strength of magnetism will be dependent upon the applied voltage, and the direction of the field will vary with the polarity of that voltage. Others here will give you better answers.

i do have a electromagnet at hand..now is the circuitry to change the direction and strength of the field..
i have a toggle switch and a slider resistor..i have access to a lot of others if need b...thanx for all the help so far!

What do you mean by change direction?
You could just rotate the coil.

rotate the coil? issit possible to do it with a switch? the magnet shld jus b left there..

You know an electromanget is just many turns of wire wound around an iron core? Right

So to increase the strength, you need to make a coil short in length with multiple turn, making a shape of a disk.

If you stretch the electromagnet in a form of cylinder (long coil short radius) then this configuration weakens the magnetic field.

Now, more turns you have, the resistance of the coil will increase, and you will have to power it up with more voltage to increase the current. And more heat will be dissipated as a result.

Note, the magnetic field is proportinal to current. To gererate more current, you have to apply more volts.

So if you are an ME student, just make an iron core with attached washers at both ends to keep the coil containted. Then you can wind the coil.

worntilltorn said:
rotate the coil? issit possible to do it with a switch? the magnet shld jus b left there..
I've taken the liberty of posting the circuit that I use for reversing DC motors. It uses a Double Pole Double Throw/Centre Off switch. Just replace the motor with your magnet, and you should be in business.
"[IMG[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
worntilltorn said:
Sure, as Danger notes, if by direction you mean 180 degrees or reverse field.
If you want intemediate angles then it gets more complicated.

1. What is circuitry and why is it important?

Circuitry is the interconnected system of electronic components that allows electricity to flow and perform specific functions. It is important because it is the basis for all modern electronic devices and technology.

2. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source, such as a battery or power supply, conductors, such as wires, and load components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors.

3. How do I read and understand a circuit diagram?

Circuit diagrams use symbols to represent each component and their connections. The power source is usually represented by a battery or power supply symbol, conductors are represented by lines, and each component has its own unique symbol. The connections between components are shown using lines and arrows. It is important to study and understand the symbols used in a circuit diagram to read and understand it correctly.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, creating only one pathway for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in branches, creating multiple pathways for the current to flow. This affects the overall resistance and current flow in the circuit.

5. How can I troubleshoot and fix issues in a circuit?

To troubleshoot and fix issues in a circuit, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit. This can help identify any faulty components or connections. You can also use a circuit simulator software to simulate the circuit and test different scenarios. It is important to follow proper safety measures when working with circuits and seek professional help if needed.