Help in TEM wave propagation for a solenoid or magnetic dipole.

In summary, the conversation discusses the appearance and propagation of a TEM wave, with a focus on a diagram showing a solenoid and a loop with a resistor. The speaker presents their understanding of the magnetic flux lines and the associated electric field, and points out some assumptions that were made in the discussion. They also mention how the concepts discussed apply to both AC and DC currents, and briefly touch on the effects of solenoid size on the behavior of the wave.
yungman
I am trying to figure out how the TEM wave looks like and how it propagate outward. Attached is a pdf of a drawing with only the solenoid and show the winding that the current is flowing in CCW and a reference. Also I draw a loop with one resistor and show the induced current and the polarity of the resistor for follow up question.

This is my thinking:

2tz7k.jpg

The magnetic flux line is shown in blue that loop from the top back to the bottom. I draw just two loops, but it is understand it is all around 360 deg around the z axis(symetric around the z axis or:

[tex] \hbox { Both }\frac {\partial \vec E}{\partial \phi} \;=\; \frac {\partial \vec B}{\partial \phi} \;=\; 0 \hbox { in cylindrical coordinates. }[/tex]

I think the associate electric field look like the red circle. The circles are parallel with the xy plane. The direction of propagation of each point move as shown in direction of the [itex] \hat n [/itex] at every point. The direction of [itex] \hat n [/itex] is:

[tex] \hat n \;=\; \vec E X \vec B [/tex]

basically, I think the propagation of the TEM is outward in direction of the [itex] \hat n [/itex] at all points. tell me whether I am correct.

Feel free to download the pdf and draw what you think is right and post it back.

Furthermore, I would like to see how the varying magnetic field induce current and voltage into the loop with resistor. I know we have Faraday's Law, I just want to see the machenism.

thanks for the help

Alan

Attachments

• Solenoid.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're drawing looks pretty good to me; maybe that's why you have no replies, because there's nothing more to say! :tongue2:

I just want to point out a few things because you didn't explicitly state them; although, I have a feeling that you know you've made certain assumptions.

First of all, you have assumed an AC current. If you were using a DC current, your picture would still be correct minus the fact that you would have no electric field. With an AC current, the common interpretation is that the lines of B will close in on themselves (form closed loops) as polarity changes. This is similar to the case of an oscillating electric dipole and its lines of E.

As for the lines of E in your picture, I like to think of them as lines of latitude on a sphere. Thus at the two poles, you would have lines of zero circumference. Each "change in polarity" can be pictured as the introduction of a new sphere, with lines of latitude (lines of E) pointed in the opposite direction as the preceding sphere. Thus radiation can be pictured by an increase in each sphere's radius. Note that no matter how big the sphere, you will always have loops of zero circumference at the poles, consistent with zero radiation along the z-axis.

Second point, everything you and I have said is strictly applicable only if the solenoid is small, i.e. if the circumference of the solenoid is much less than the wavelength. If this condition does not prevail, then you can have a much different picture arising from phase retardation, i.e. constructive and destructive interference due to fields being spatially separated throughout points on the solenoid. If this point interests you, then I'll refer you to the internet; look up end-fire helical antennas.

cmos said:
You're drawing looks pretty good to me; maybe that's why you have no replies, because there's nothing more to say! :tongue2:

I just want to point out a few things because you didn't explicitly state them; although, I have a feeling that you know you've made certain assumptions.

First of all, you have assumed an AC current. If you were using a DC current, your picture would still be correct minus the fact that you would have no electric field. With an AC current, the common interpretation is that the lines of B will close in on themselves (form closed loops) as polarity changes. This is similar to the case of an oscillating electric dipole and its lines of E.

As for the lines of E in your picture, I like to think of them as lines of latitude on a sphere. Thus at the two poles, you would have lines of zero circumference. Each "change in polarity" can be pictured as the introduction of a new sphere, with lines of latitude (lines of E) pointed in the opposite direction as the preceding sphere. Thus radiation can be pictured by an increase in each sphere's radius. Note that no matter how big the sphere, you will always have loops of zero circumference at the poles, consistent with zero radiation along the z-axis.

Second point, everything you and I have said is strictly applicable only if the solenoid is small, i.e. if the circumference of the solenoid is much less than the wavelength. If this condition does not prevail, then you can have a much different picture arising from phase retardation, i.e. constructive and destructive interference due to fields being spatially separated throughout points on the solenoid. If this point interests you, then I'll refer you to the internet; look up end-fire helical antennas.

Thanks for you reply. Yes I am just based on a very simple model. Yes I under that when polarity of E change, it is like the circle is circulating in opposite direction. Thanks for all your help. This is kind of a spin off topic from the big MIT professor thread where we really going at it. Feel free to join in there.

What is TEM wave propagation?

TEM (Transverse Electromagnetic) wave propagation refers to the movement of electromagnetic waves in which both the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in electromagnets and inductors.

How does a solenoid affect TEM wave propagation?

A solenoid can act as a source or receiver of TEM waves, as the changing magnetic field produced by the current in the solenoid can induce an electric field and vice versa. It can also affect the direction and polarization of the TEM waves.

What is a magnetic dipole?

A magnetic dipole is a pair of equal and opposite magnetic charges, typically found in magnets or moving charged particles. It produces a magnetic field that can interact with other magnetic fields.

How does a magnetic dipole contribute to TEM wave propagation?

A magnetic dipole can act as a source or receiver of TEM waves, as its changing magnetic field can induce an electric field and vice versa. It can also affect the direction and polarization of the TEM waves, depending on its orientation and strength.