HELP Induced Voltage question

In summary, the problem involves a coil with 10 turns and an eliptical shape with a major axis of 10 cm and a minor axis of 4 cm. The coil rotates at 100 rpm in a region with an Earth's magnetic field of magnitude 55 microT. The question is what is the maximum voltage induced in the coil if the rotation axis is parallel or perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field. The equation used is Emax = NBAωsinωt, where A is the area of the coil, N is the number of turns, B is the magnetic field, and ω is the rotational speed. The mistake in the calculation was due to an incorrect area calculation, which resulted in a wrong answer. The
Trista
HELP! Induced Voltage question

Here it is: Coil has 10 turns and shaped in an elipse (A = pie ab), having a major axis of 10 cm (10 X 10^-2 m) and minor axis 4 cm (4 X 10^-2m). Coil rotates 100 rpm in a region in which the magnitude of the Earth's magnetic field is 55 microT. What is max voltage induced in the coil if the axis of rotation of the coil is along its major axis and aligned
a) Perpendicular to Earth's magnetic field or
b) parallel

So, I figure my equation should be Emax = NBA omega sin omega t

Then, I figure my area to be: A = pi ((10 X 4)x10^-2 m^2)) = 1.26 m^2
and Omega = 2 pi(rpm / 60) -> 2 pi (100 / 60) = 10.47 rad/s

My equation then looks like this:
10(55X10^-6 T)(1.26 m^2)10.47 rad/s sin 10.47 rad/s t
But it doesn't come out right AND I don't know what t would be, as its not mentioned. a) is supposed to be 18.1 micro V and b) is 0, I suppose becuase it is parallel, no magnetic field is hitting it when parallel, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
hahhaahaha, I got it... I needed to fix my area. S/B (4 cm / 2)(10 cm / 2) = 10 cm... got my answer, thanks anyway

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track in terms of using the equation Emax = NBAωsinωt to calculate the maximum induced voltage in the coil. However, there are a few things to consider in order to get the correct answer.

First, make sure to convert all units to SI units before plugging them into the equation. This means converting the coil's major and minor axis measurements from centimeters to meters, and the Earth's magnetic field strength from microTesla to Tesla.

Second, for part a) where the coil is perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field, the angle between the coil's axis of rotation and the magnetic field should be 90 degrees. This means that the sinωt term in the equation would become sin(90 degrees) = 1. This will give you the correct answer of 18.1 microvolts.

For part b) where the coil is parallel to the magnetic field, the angle between the coil's axis of rotation and the magnetic field should be 0 degrees. This means that the sinωt term in the equation would become sin(0 degrees) = 0. This will give you the correct answer of 0 microvolts.

Lastly, the t in the equation represents time, which is not given in the question. This is because the induced voltage in the coil will vary over time as it rotates. In order to calculate the maximum voltage, you would need to take the derivative of the equation with respect to time and set it equal to 0. This will give you the time at which the maximum voltage occurs. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the equation and find the maximum value.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and how to approach it. Good luck!

1. What is "HELP" Induced Voltage?

HELP (Human Electromagnetic Life Project) Induced Voltage is a phenomenon in which the human body acts as a conductor and generates an electric voltage when exposed to electromagnetic fields.

2. How is "HELP" Induced Voltage measured?

The voltage generated by the human body due to exposure to electromagnetic fields can be measured using specialized equipment such as a voltmeter or oscilloscope.

3. What are the potential health effects of "HELP" Induced Voltage?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that "HELP" Induced Voltage has any negative health effects. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of electromagnetic fields may have potential health risks and should be avoided.

4. Can "HELP" Induced Voltage be prevented or reduced?

There are some measures that can be taken to reduce exposure to electromagnetic fields and thus minimize the potential for "HELP" Induced Voltage. These include using a shielded room, minimizing the use of electronic devices, and keeping a safe distance from sources of electromagnetic fields.

5. What research is being done on "HELP" Induced Voltage?

Scientists are continuously studying the effects of "HELP" Induced Voltage on the human body and the potential health risks associated with it. Further research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon and its impact on human health.