Help is needed with physics of billiards

In summary, the problem involves three billiard balls arranged in an equilateral triangle formation, with one ball given an impulse of J. The angles at which the balls will travel can be easily found and there are three unknowns (mass, impulse, and angle theta). Using the equation J = delta p, two equations can be formed and conservation of energy can also be used to solve for the magnitudes of the velocities.
balingwhale

Homework Statement

three billiard balls are arranged in an equilateral triangle formation labeled A, B, and C. the impulse which the cue imparts to the cue ball is a given, J, the angles at which the three balls will travel(depart from the stationary arrangement) can be easily found. i won't get into more details until i see someone has acknowledged this post. my question is, is it possible to find the velocities with which each ball "departs" (for lack of a better word).

Homework Equations

using J = delta p i am able to find that ... (see #3)

The Attempt at a Solution

|(v_A ) ⃑ |=1/m |J ⃑ |-2|(v_C ) ⃑ |cosθ
and
|(v_B ) ⃑ |=|(v_C ) ⃑ |

please NOTE: theta is given (or can be found as mentioned above because of the nature of the arrangement)

Physics news on Phys.org
How many equations exist, and how many unknowns do you have?

breaking up impulse into components on the one side of the equal sign and final momentum into components (the sum of final momentums for each ball.. mv_A + mv_B +mv_C) on the other side of the equal sign will give us 2 equations. there are 3 unknowns. mass, impulse, angle theta are all given. are there any other equations i could use assuming the impact is ideal. can i incorporate conservation if kinetic energy in any way. i don't think so but looking at it i feel that i should be able to find the magnitudes of velocities.

balingwhale: Your statements in post 3 are correct. And yes, you can use conservation of energy. Very good. Try it.

1. What is the physics behind billiards?

The physics of billiards involves the study of motion, energy, and forces. Billiards is a game that relies heavily on the principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of momentum.

2. How does spin affect the trajectory of a billiard ball?

Spin, or the rotation of a billiard ball, can greatly affect its trajectory. When a ball is struck with spin, it will curve or swerve in the direction of the spin due to the Magnus effect. This is caused by the difference in air pressure on the opposite sides of the spinning ball.

3. What role does friction play in billiards?

Friction plays a crucial role in billiards, as it determines the speed and direction of the balls on the table. The cloth on the billiard table creates friction, which helps to grip the balls and prevent them from sliding too much. Friction can also be used strategically to control the speed and spin of the balls.

4. How does collision between balls work in billiards?

Collisions between billiard balls follow the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. When two balls collide, the total momentum of the system remains the same before and after the collision. The energy from the cue ball is transferred to the other ball, causing it to move in a specific direction and with a certain amount of force.

5. What factors affect the speed and trajectory of a billiard ball?

The speed and trajectory of a billiard ball are affected by a variety of factors, including the amount of force applied by the cue, the angle at which the cue strikes the ball, the presence of spin, and the amount of friction on the table. Other factors such as air resistance, temperature, and humidity can also play a role in the movement of the ball.