1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help is needed with physics of billiards

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    three billiard balls are arranged in an equilateral triangle formation labeled A, B, and C. the impulse which the cue imparts to the cue ball is a given, J, the angles at which the three balls will travel(depart from the stationary arrangement) can be easily found. i won't get into more details until i see someone has acknowledged this post. my question is, is it possible to find the velocities with which each ball "departs" (for lack of a better word).

2. Relevant equations

using J = delta p i am able to find that ... (see #3)

3. The attempt at a solution

|(v_A ) ⃑ |=1/m |J ⃑ |-2|(v_C ) ⃑ |cosθ
    and
    |(v_B ) ⃑ |=|(v_C ) ⃑ |

please NOTE: theta is given (or can be found as mentioned above because of the nature of the arrangement)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How many equations exist, and how many unknowns do you have?

4. Jun 2, 2009 #3
    breaking up impulse into components on the one side of the equal sign and final momentum into components (the sum of final momentums for each ball.. mv_A + mv_B +mv_C) on the other side of the equal sign will give us 2 equations. there are 3 unknowns. mass, impulse, angle theta are all given. are there any other equations i could use assuming the impact is ideal. can i incorporate conservation if kinetic energy in any way. i don't think so but looking at it i feel that i should be able to find the magnitudes of velocities.

5. Jun 2, 2009 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

balingwhale: Your statements in post 3 are correct. And yes, you can use conservation of energy. Very good. Try it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook