Help: Length Contraction and changing Frames

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of length contraction and its application in different frames of reference. The question posed is how the difference between the proper length and the contracted length is explained by observers in different frames. The solution involves considering the perspective of both the observer on the platform and the one on the moving train. The key point is that simultaneous events in one frame may not be simultaneous in another frame due to time dilation.
Qazzy03
[SOLVED] Help: Length Contraction and changing Frames

Hi i have been learning about length contraction and i thought i understand how it works until i was given this question.
A very fast train of proper length Lo rushes through a station which has a plaform of length L(<Lo).
According to this observer, two porters standing at either end of the platform (distance L apart) kick the train simultaneously, which makes dents in it. When the train stops, the dents are distance Lo apart.
How is the difference between L and Lo explained by:
(a)the observer on the platform?
(b)the observer traveling on the train?

My attempt at a solution
(I have no idea what happens when something is being length contracted in one frame and then goes to another frame where everything is at rest.)
(a)Since the train is no longer under length contraction when it has stopped the observer on the platform will say that the train has expanded in the x direction. To explian the difference between Lo and L.
(b)However the observer traveling on the train will see something different. Since this is in a different frame we know that the two porters will not kick the train simultaneously. also we know because of time dilation that the two porters will have slower clockers than trains clock. making the dents at Lo distance instead of L distance.

Hopefully, someone can help me out with this. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the essential point. In one frame the kicks are simultaneous, in the other frame they aren't. If you really want to learn this try putting actual numbers in. Put the kickers in at t=0 and x=0 and x=1 in the rest frame. Pick a value of v and figure out what goes on the the moving frame. Both scenarios make perfect sense.

Okay, thanks for the reply. I just wasn't to sure what observer (a) would see. If the train would look like it has expanded in length. Its a little hard to comprehended sometimes.

1. What is length contraction and how does it occur?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in special relativity where the length of an object appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This occurs due to the distortion of space and time in different frames of reference.

2. How is length contraction related to changing frames of reference?

Length contraction is a result of changing frames of reference. When an object is moving at high speeds relative to an observer, the observer's frame of reference is different from that of the moving object. This change in frames of reference causes the object to appear shorter in length.

3. Is length contraction a real phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction is a real phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through experiments and mathematical calculations. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity and has been confirmed by various experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment.

4. Does length contraction apply to all objects?

Yes, length contraction applies to all objects, regardless of their size or mass. However, it is only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light. At lower speeds, the amount of length contraction is negligible and cannot be observed.

5. Can length contraction be reversed?

No, length contraction cannot be reversed. It is a fundamental property of objects moving at high speeds relative to an observer, and it is a consequence of the laws of special relativity. However, when the object returns to its original frame of reference, its length will return to its original value.